HP announced two new HP DreamColor Displays, once again disrupting the color-critical display market by achieving new levels of affordability and color accuracy. The HP Z27x and Z24x displays for PCs and Macs feature HP's second-generation DreamColor Engine and provide up to 1.07 billion on-screen colors, achieving color error so small that it is not discernable to the human eye. Compared to the previous-generation product, the new displays include up to 60 percent more pixels, contain up to a 4,000 percent increase in the internal color palette and are up to 57 percent thinner.
The HP Z24x DreamColor Display delivers the color accuracy and consistency that has become synonymous with the HP DreamColor brand, at less than 25 percent of the price of the original HP DreamColor display. The HP Z27x DreamColor Display breaks new technology barriers by providing:
- Three times the color accuracy over the previous generation
- The first color-critical display featuring HP's hostless integrated calibration engine with built-in support for third-party professional color measurement instruments
- Ethernet-based remote management with an integrated web server that provides unprecedented control of the display
- A published software development kit (SDK) that allows customers to fully integrate the HP Z27x into their color workflows
- The most affordable color-critical display capable of 4K support
"The HP DreamColor Engine and our line of DreamColor products have become the gold standards for professionals who demand color accuracy," said Jun Kim, vice president and general manager, PC displays and accessories, HP. "This next generation of HP DreamColor Displays will once again disrupt color technology, providing customers with richer and more accurate colors than ever before."
The HP Z27x and HP Z24x DreamColor Displays are designed for professionals for whom accurate color management is essential, and consumers who seek to use only the best in technology innovations. Key features of the new displays include:
- Consistent 10-bit color accuracy from design to production with push-button color space selection and easy color calibration
- One-button access to presets including sRGB D65, sRGB D50, Adobe RGB, BT.709, BT.2020 and DCI-P3
- Ability to easily create a custom color space with full control over primaries, white point and tone response
- Easy connection to existing workflows through support by Windows, Mac or Linux operating systems
The HP Z27x DreamColor Display also offers:
- An ultrawide Digital Cinema color gamut with 100 percent of sRGB, 100 percent of AdobeRGB and 99 percent of DCI-P3
- The HP Night Vision interface with auto-fade button backlights and selectable red button backlight color for better low-light viewing in darkened working conditions
The result of an unprecedented technology collaboration with DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. and other leading studios, the first HP DreamColor Display, the HP LP2480zx, addressed an increasingly critical need for affordable and consistent color accuracy in the animation, photography, film/video post, broadcast, product design and graphic arts categories.
"HP technology has enabled our studio to deliver amazing visual effects to our audiences," says Kate Swanborg, Head of Technology Communications and Strategic Alliance, DreamWorks Animation. "The new Z27x raises the bar in accuracy and ease of use for ensuring perfect color consistency from scene to scene and empowering further creativity in our artists."
With the new DreamColor Displays, HP has once again pushed the limits of innovation to bring users unrivaled accurate and consistent color from displays, to the big screen to print. Each new feature is a result of direct feedback from key advisory council members and customers looking for new ways to transform the way they work.
"The new DreamColor Z Displays are amazing and will be a game changer for many photographers," said Chris McLennan, an international, award-winning adventure and travel photographer and Nikon Ambassador. "The price point will mean that everyone who is into photography -- whether a full time pro or a keen enthusiast -- should be looking into this product."
Pricing and availability
The HP DreamColor Z27x and Z24x are available today for $1,499 and $599, respectively.