Specifications and Features
Specifications & Features
The sample that has arrived in our secret test facility is the 240 GB version of the Ultra II series drives. The Ultra II series has been released with Toggle NAND, flash memory from the new SanDisk 19nm node. TLC flash memory allows the memory cells to stack up vertically, which allows for more NAND cells in the same space, and that makes an SSD is cheaper to produce -- the downside however is slower write performance. The 19nmNAND flash memory is tied towards the latest revision of the Marvell 88SS9190 (Monet) controller. This is an 8-channel NAND flash controller and the third revision from Marvell, it comes with a dual-core architecture that is very fast per channel. On the next pages we'll be showing you some PCB photosl, and what you'll notice is that it carries DDR memory caches as well. In-between the different SKUs the RAM buffer will be different. It's configured in a 1:1 style, this 240 GB has a 256MB cache whilst the 480GB version will have 512MB.
Over the a SATA3 interface you may expect read speeds up to 550 MB/s and writes up to 500 MB/s depending on volume size of the SSD. The fastest SSD in this series will be the 240 GB model, which these days in regards to pricing also is a size we feel you should have in your PC or laptop as minimum.
- SATA 6 Gb/s compliant; Backwards compliant to SATA 3 Gb/s & SATA 1.5 Gb/s
- ATA8-ACS v6
- NCQ support up to queue depth = 32
- Support for TRIM
- S.M.A.R.T. feature supported
- Advanced Flash Management:
- nCache – Non Volatile Write Cache
- Dynamic and Static Wear-leveling
- Bad Block Management
- Background Garbage Collection
- Advanced features:
- Tiered caching – Volatile and non-volatile cache
- Supports multi stream – improves user experience in multitasking systems
- Minimal write amplification – increases endurance and performance
- Support for Thermal throttling
- Performance will be throttled in the event junction temperature of critical components is measured to be exceeding the maximum allowable for the product
SANDISK ULTRA II SSD SPECS
|Interface||SATA 6Gbps||SATA 6Gbps||SATA 6Gbps||SATA 6Gbps|
|Controller||Marvell 88SS9187||Marvell 88SS91xx||Marvell 88SS91xx||Marvell 88SS91xx|
|NAND flash memory||SanDisk 2nd Gen 19nm TLC||SanDisk 2nd Gen 19nm TLC||SanDisk 2nd Gen 19nm TLC||SanDisk 2nd Gen 19nm TLC|
|Sequential read||550 MB/s||550 MB/s||550 MB/s||550 MB/s|
|Sequential write||500 MB/s||500 MB/s||500 MB/s||500 MB/s|
|Random read||81K IOPS||91K IOPS||98K IOPS||99K IOPS|
|Random write||80K IOPS||83K IOPS||83K IOPS||83K IOPS|
|Warranty||3 years||3 years||3 years||3 years|
nCache 2.0 technology
- Volatile cache – DDR DRAM cache
- nCache – A non-volatile flash write cache
- Mass storage – MLC NAND flash
The nCache is used to accumulate small writes (called segments) at high speed and then flush and consolidate them to larger MLC sections of the NAND Flash memory array.
SanDisk Press Release
SanDisk Corporation, a global leader in flash storage solutions, today announced the new SanDisk Ultra II SSD with enhanced SSD Dashboard. The new drive is designed to deliver a cost-effective and easy upgrade solution for PC owners looking to improve performance, battery life, and power efficiency. The enhanced SSD Dashboard provides visibility into the drive's performance, security, and available firmware updates, to maintain peak performance at all times.
"We live in an era where we expect to have information at our fingertips anytime, anywhere, with technology that keeps us connected to both our personal and work lives on devices that won't fail," said Dinesh Bahal, vice president of retail product marketing at SanDisk. "The new SanDisk Ultra II SSD, together with the improved SSD Dashboard, provides consumers with an easy, affordable way to ensure that their PC can keep pace with their increasingly connected, information-driven lifestyle."
With the new SanDisk Ultra II SSD you can upgrade your hard disk drive-based PC to experience up to 28 times performance improvement and up to 15 percent longer battery life. The drive features sequential read speeds of up to 550 MB/s and write speeds of up to 500 MB/s, allowing for faster boot up time and shorter application loads. Based on X3 NAND Flash technology, the SanDisk Ultra II SSD comes equipped with nCache 2.0 technology that utilizes a two-tiered caching architecture to optimize drive speed and endurance. The drive is also shock resistant, which keeps data safe even if the computer is bumped or dropped.
Easy to Use SSD Dashboard Monitors Drive Status and Management
The SanDisk Ultra II SSD comes with the enhanced SanDisk SSD Dashboard, which displays the drive's performance, manual or scheduled TRIM, available firmware updates and tips on how to maintain the drive at its peak operation. Users can choose from 17 different languages and get assistance from "Live Chat" and "Ask a Question via Email" buttons. Additional value-added software features of the SanDisk SSD Dashboard include:
- Cloning- Ability to create an exact replica of an old drive onto the new SanDisk Ultra II SSD in three easy steps with Apricorn's EZ GIG IV. With the cloning software, there is no need to re-install the operating system, programs or settings.
- Antivirus- Easy-to-use security for what consumers do most online - email, socialize, and browse with Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+.
- Theft Recovery- Created by Absolute Software, Absolute LoJack is the leader in consumer data protection and theft recovery, providing a persistent solution that can locate a device if stolen and return it to the rightful owner.
"Consumers upgrading their PC for a faster experience with the SanDisk Ultra II SSD want the data migration process to be easy," said Mike McCandless, vice president of sales and marketing, Apricorn, Inc. "We're excited to partner with SanDisk to provide the Apricorn EZ Gig cloning software to SanDisk customers for simple data migration from slower hard disk drives. EZ Gig is available either through the new SanDisk SSD Dashboard software suite or within the SanDisk SSD Conversion kit and works with all SanDisk client SSDs."
The SanDisk Ultra II SSD comes with a 3-year warranty and will be available online and through SanDisk's worldwide network of authorized distributors and resellers in September. It will be offered in capacities of 120 GB (MSRP $79.99), 240 GB (MSRP $114.99), 480 GB (MSRP $219.99), and 960 GB (MSRP $429.99).