Micron announced general availability of the 128GB and 256GB density of edge storage microSD card solutions and collaboration with several leading video surveillance solution providers to promote surveillance-grade edge storage.
Built on Micron’s industry-leading 64-layer 3D TLC NAND technology, the newly released solutions enable greater capacity in a smaller space, delivering up to 30 days of surveillance video storage in the camera itself.
These consumer-grade memory cards are not designed and validated for commercial use in video surveillance applications. Micron’s industrial microSD cards are designed specifically for professional video surveillance use cases and include a three-year warranty for 24x7 continuous video recording usage. The Micron microSD card design and firmware is optimized to ensure a reliable, robust and low-maintenance system design that delivers 24x7 continuous recording capability with minimum video frame drops.
“Due to a lack of surveillance-grade solutions, organizations have relied on the use of retail microSD cards that are not optimized for 24x7 recording. As a result, these cards may fail earlier and also experience video frame drops as high as 30 percent2,” said Amit Gattani, senior director of embedded segment marketing at Micron. “With a strong industry trend toward more analytics and artificial intelligence (AI) in surveillance cameras, there is a growing demand for higher reliability and higher density storage in the cameras. Micron is addressing this need with industry-leading density of 256GB in a surveillance-grade microSD card.”
Edge Storage: Industrial-Quality Storage Designed for Professional Video Surveillance Applications
Micron’s industrial microSD cards are specifically designed for IP video surveillance workloads and feature:
- Storage densities of 256GB, 128GB, 64GB, and 32GB, which enable more video to be stored at the edge, giving system designers increased flexibility
- At least three years of high-quality, continuous, 24x7 video recording3 in a wide range of temperatures and environments
- Technology for the cards to self-monitor and provide information on card usage and expected useful life remaining for each card
- Special firmware designed for continuous video recording, which minimizes frame drops and video loss
- A two million hours mean-time-to-failure (MTTF) or 0.44 percent annualized failure rate (AFR), which is equal or better than most surveillance Hard Disk Drive
The 128GB ($59 MSRP) and 256GB ($119 MSRP) versions of the Micron Industrial microSD Cards are available now for ordering through Micron global distribution channels.