Micron introduced the Micron Enterprise 5100 Series SATA solid state drive (SSD) family. With an 8-terabyte (TB) capacity, the 5100 Series helps you manage the data deluge created by today's diverse digital universe with performance characteristics perfectly tailored to manage the data tsunami.
"Micron is uniquely positioned to help IT embrace modernization and agility, and leading enterprise and cloud data centers look to Micron for breadth and depth in solid state storage solutions to tame a diverse digital universe," Darren Thomas, vice president of storage at Micron. "Our Micron 5100 Series SATA SSDs featuring FlexPro architecture offer a seamless migration path with enterprise class reliability and proven ROI, ensuring flexibility, continuity and agility for data management today and tomorrow."
- Better Quality of Service (QoS) - Extremely efficient quality of service (QoS), delivering up to 99 percent better QoS than spinning mediai -- reducing mission-critical data delays.
- Unmatched Capacity - Satisfying a wide range of capacity demands -- up to 8TB. Industry-leading SATA capacity -- 2X that of the nearest SSD manufacturer.
- Application Performance - Engineered for high-performance -- 74k random writes. Tunable drive performance and endurance within Micron's integrated FlexPro firmware architecture.
- Better TCO: Enhancing Micron's enterprise data storage offerings, the 5100 Series SSDs help deliver optimized total cost of ownership (TCO) and better data center efficiency through server and storage platform consolidation, enabling reduced IT costs.
A Full Product Line Designed to Meet Your Needs
Built on Micron's industry-leading 3D NAND technology, the 5100 Series offers three models, each designed to satisfy the broadest variation of customer workloads: read-intensive, latency-sensitive mixed-use and write-intensive logging applications.
- Micron 5100 ECO: Cloud services focused, optimized for content sharing (video and media streaming). Performance and endurance characteristics for consistent data throughput and fast information delivery.
- Micron 5100 PRO: A true workhorse. Excels in consistent performance delivery for latency-sensitive applications. Enhances your bottom line through better response times (e.g., databases powering e-commerce, trading transactions, etc.).
- Micron 5100 MAX: Meet un-forecasted demand of today's mission-critical data center. Agility and flexibility to respond easily and effectively.
Flex Your Storage Muscles
In addition to faster speeds and feeds, Enterprise SSDs must provide advanced management and optimization tools to help fully utilize their capabilities and maximize lifespan.
To that end, Micron has introduced new FlexPro firmware architecture, paving the way for customers to future-proof their storage investment. The FlexPro architecture unifies design elements across all Micron's data center SSDs and unleashes the true capabilities of the storage media, enabling IT managers to easily tune specific drive features (capacity, security, endurance, power, data layout, data cleanup and performance).
FlexPro firmware architecture features first available in the 5100 SATA Series:
- Flex Capacity Feature: Enables customers to tune 5100 capacity to deliver application and workload-optimized performance. Administrators save time and money with the flexibility to repurpose drives and servers for different kinds of workload traffic and application needs.
- Flex Security Feature: Robust security features to protect valuable data from unauthorized access. Helps address enterprise security concerns with market-leading data protection and encryption (AES-256 bit encryption, TCG-enterprise protection in a FIPS-validated SATA SSD) with zero performance impact.
Praise for the Micron Enterprise 5100 Series SATA SSD
"The new Micron 5100 family of SSDs provide a perfect option to replace HDD storage, delivering a cost-optimized solution to handle diverse workloads while meeting ever-present IT budget constraints," said Alexey Stolyar, development director, at ICC. "We're pleased to partner with Micron to support our customers who are seeking storage and computing technologies of the highest quality."
"Micron's new 5100 SSD family is a good fit for Linux-based cloud and HPC solutions, giving IT pros a new choice for agile and efficient data center deployments," said Sue Lewis, Chief Marketing Officer at Silicon Mechanics. "The 5100 Series SATA SSDs deliver the capacity, performance and consistency requested by our customers as they look to solve the challenges of price, performance, and scalability."
"Enterprise data centers are pressed more than ever to modernize legacy IT while having infrastructure agility," said Greg Wong, founder and Principal Analyst of Forward Insights. "Storage is a strategic investment in delivering agility and Micron is positioned to take advantage of denser datacenters with the compact design, speed and capacity of their new SSDs."