Marvell today announced the introduction of its first native Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) solid-state drive (SSD) controller, the 88SS1093. The Marvell 88SS1093 NVMe SSD controller delivers high-performance solid-state storage solutions with a fully Flash-optimized architecture overcoming the SAS/SATA performance limitations by optimizing hardware and software to take full advantage on NAND and addressing the needs of data centers and client systems that utilize next-generation PCIe 3.0 SSD storage.
The 88SS1093 also integrates Marvell's third generation NANDEdge error-correcting, low-density parity check (LDPC) technology for higher reliability and endurance boost that was previously announced with Marvell's fifth generation SATA SSD controller, the 88SS1074.
"As the global leader of the storage industry, we are very proud of our innovation, invention, and contribution to the advancement of a wide range of storage technologies and products. I am very excited to see that our new SSD controller solution has once again raised the technology bar with superior performance, high reliability and robust security," said Weili Dai, President and Co-Founder of Marvell. "I am very proud of our close collaboration with leading tier one OEM and ODM partners around the world in enabling the rapid growth of the SSD market from client devices to data centers and enterprise systems. At Marvell, it is our pride and long term commitment to drive innovation to better lives for all in the new era of 'Smart Life and Smart Lifestyle'."
Marvell's third generation NANDEdge error-correcting, low-density parity check (LDPC) technology can support 15 nm TLC and 3D NAND, resulting in low enabling cost of TLC and 3D NAND. By developing single code for NANDEdge, SSD firmware developers are able to rapidly leverage one code to the other for the most advanced error-correcting technology for data integrity, endurance and reliability.
Key features of Marvell's new 88SS1093 NVMe SSD controller include:
- Fully hardware automated NVMe 1.1 support Command overlay and out-of-order data return to deliver the full potential of NAND
- Hardware automation on command fetch and status return
- 15 nm TLC/MLC/SLC and 3D NAND support with Marvell NANDEdge LDPC error correction control and management
- Advanced Tri-core CPU architecture to support high performance requirements
- SRIS capabilities to support SATA Express running PCIe 3.0 speed for the first time
- Up to 2 TB support
- M.2/2.5 slim form factor support with thermal optimization and small package size
- New low-power management(L1.2) design
- Advanced 28 nm CMOS process
The 88SS1093 is currently sampling to leading customers. Marvell believes its NVMe SSD controllers will be an ideal solution for next generation of high-performance SSD for client platforms coming in 2015 as well as today's hyperscale data center applications.