Intel announced additions to the 8th Gen Intel Core processor family: The U-series (formerly code-named Whiskey Lake) and Y-series (formerly code-named Amber Lake) are optimized for connectivity in thin, light laptops and 2 in 1s for the first time, while also providing ultimate mobile performance and long battery life.
"The new 8th Gen Intel Core processors extend once again our leadership in delivering exceptional performance. Now with Gigabit Wi-Fi, we've enabled faster PC connectivity, added more intuitive voice experiences and enabled longer battery life needed for the next wave of mobile computing," said Chris Walker, vice president of the Client Computing Group and general manager of Intel Mobile Client Platform.
8th Gen Intel Core Y-series processors also deliver fast connectivity options, including fast Wi-Fi and LTE capabilities with unprecedented performance, to the some of the thinnest and lightest laptops and 2 in 1s in the market with double-digit gains in performance compared with the previous generation6, enabling fresh innovations in sleek and compact form factor designs with extended battery life.
Both the U-series and Y-series processors have new and improved platform capabilities for more intelligent interactions with PCs, such as support for multiple voice services on the U-series and refinements to improve natural input options like touch and stylus for the Y-series.
8th Gen Intel Core U-Series Processor (i7-8565U, i5-8265U, i3-8145U) - The latest 8th Gen Intel Core i7, i5 and i3 (U-series) processors deliver the ultimate performance in a 15-watt envelope with up to four cores and eight threads for mainstream laptops and 2 in 1s. Other key features and capabilities:
- For the first time on this class of processors, Intel is delivering blazing fast connectivity with integrated Gigabit Wi-Fi with Intel Wireless-AC for faster sharing, streaming and downloading1. Paired with Intel LTE modem options, consumers will have fast connectivity wherever they are7.
- Working with the PC ecosystem, Intel is delivering incredible performance in power-efficient platforms. With the new U-series processors, laptops and 2 in 1s get the extra leap in performance while also lasting up to 16 hours on a single charge, with power-optimized systems targeted to achieve about 19 hours.
- Consumers can simplify their lives and get more done with Amazon Alexa and Microsoft Cortana to help control lighting and temperature in their homes, play music, create lists and shop with the sound of their voice, whether they are at home or on-the-go.
- Download in a snap and watch premium 4K UHD content from providers, including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, iQiyi, Sony Pictures ULTRA and Vudu.
- Devices with the new U-series processor can also support Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos immersive audio. Together, the fusion of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos transform PCs into entertainment powerhouses.
- Play popular games on the go, including "World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth" and "World of Tanks." Visit gameplay.intel.com for a full list of games and optimized settings for Intel-powered PCs.
8th Gen Intel Core Y-Series Processor (i7-8500, i5-8200Y, m3-8100Y) - The first 8th Gen Intel Core i7, i5 and m3 (Y-series) processors are balanced for mobility and deliver incredible performance that people expect from Intel processors in super thin and light devices with fast Wi-Fi and LTE connectivity.
Other key features:
- Stream, share or download with Intel Wireless-AC supporting Gigabit wireless speeds, and experience seamless and reliable connectivity with Modern Standby and eSIM support with Intel's Gigabit LTE modems.
- Improved touch and stylus interaction to power creativity and sketch, shade and paint with precision.
- Ultra-sleek, thin-and-light designs less than 7 millimeters thick and lighter than 1 pound for use at home, in the office and on-the-go.