Windows 8 tablet hardware requirement listed
Engadget compiled a list of things they learned about Windows 8's tablet hardware requirements:
- Controversially, ARM-based tablet users won't be able to deactivate secure booting and (therefore) install another operating system. Clearly that's not gone down well with people -- and a straw poll of our editors agreed
- Ctrl + Alt + Del for tablets without physical keyboards will be supplanted by Windows Key + Power.
There's a mandatory five points of touch -- which we already knew thanks to our hands on with Synaptics at CES.
- If your gear has NFC, physical "touch marks" will be visible on the hardware so people know where to plonk their devices.
- All tablets must have Power, Rotation Lock, Windows Key, Volume Up and Volume Down buttons.
- After all operating system updates, there must be 10GB free space, all machines must run UFEI Firmware.
- All hardware must include one USB 2.0 port, a magnetometer, speakers, Bluetooth 4.0, WLAN, gyroscope and accelerometer.
- Any camera must have a minimum resolution of 720p.
- The minimum display for any tablet is 1366 x 768.
- You'll be able to update your graphics drivers without rebooting.
There you have it, many of the new changes are welcome and demonstrate Redmond's commitment to avoid fragmentation between PCs, Laptops and Slates. However, ensuring ease for the general consumer might come at too high a price if it alienates those who value the freedom of a PC.
Microsoft outs AMD Bulldozer Performance Update Windows 7 - 01/12/2012 12:52 PM
AMD has just posted a blog announcing the availability of a scheduler update for the Windows 7 operating system. The hotfix was developed by Microsoft, based on the Windows 8 scheduler code. Unfortun...
Futuremark 3DMark for Windows 8 Devices - 11/15/2011 12:07 PM
Futuremark, the world leader in performance benchmarking software, today announced development of a new version of 3DMark, the company's flagship benchmark for gamers. 3DMark for Windows 8 (working ti...
Windows 8 secure boot to complicate installation of other operating systems - 09/23/2011 09:40 AM
OS News reports Windows 8's new secure boot process may potentially complicate the installation of other operating systems, like previous versions of Windows and Linux: Microsoft requires OEMs that w...
Windows 8 boot process goes Metro-style - 09/22/2011 10:10 AM
Microsoft created a video that shows off the new boot process of Windows 8. It's basically out with the legacy DOS stuff, on UEFI systems the software giant intends to give manufacturers the ability t...
Microsoft urges companies to dump Windows XP - 09/19/2011 09:09 AM
In an new post on the official Windows blog site, Microsoft's Stephen L Rose stated that there are two big reasons for leaving Windows XP behind. One of them is, of course, the fact that there is a ne...