Windows 8 hits RTM Status
Microsoft announced that Windows 8 has hit RTM phase. Today, I am excited to announce that Windows 8 has been released to manufacturing (RTM)! This means we’ve completed the product development and testing of the product and have started handing off the final code to our OEM partners. They can now begin preparing new Windows 8 PCs and devices they’ll introduce starting with General Availability. For more on RTM, I suggest reading this blog post from Steven Sinofsky on the Building Windows 8 blog.
So when will folks be able to get their hands on the new Windows 8 RTM code?
People will be able get Windows 8 starting on October 26th either by upgrading for $39.99 or on a new PC or device. And if you buy an eligible Windows 7 PC today, you will be able to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (U.S.) through the Windows Upgrade Offer.
However, we have a number of programs that provides various audiences early access to the Windows 8 RTM code to help prepare for Windows 8 as it enters the marketplace this fall:
- August 15th: Developers will be able to download the final version of Windows 8 via your MSDN subscriptions.
- August 15th: IT professionals testing Windows 8 in organizations will be able to access the final version of Windows 8 through your TechNet subscriptions.
- August 16th: Customers with existing Microsoft Software Assurance for Windows will be able to download Windows 8 Enterprise edition through the Volume License Service Center (VLSC), allowing you to test, pilot and begin adopting Windows 8 Enterprise within your organization.
- August 16th: Microsoft Partner Network members will have access to Windows 8.
- August 20th: Microsoft Action Pack Providers (MAPS) receive access to Windows 8.
- September 1st: Volume License customers without Software Assurance will be able to purchase Windows 8 through Microsoft Volume License Resellers.
Microsoft Windows 8 mice and keyboards - 07/31/2012 10:18 AM
Microsoft reveals a new line of mice and keyboards designed for Windows 8: For the past 30 years, Microsoft Corp. has introduced hardware that helps people interact better and more easily with Windows...
Windows 8 will be available on October 26th - 07/19/2012 10:11 AM
Just a few minutes ago, Steven Sinofsky announced at Microsoft
Microsoft preps Wedge line of Windows 8 keyboards - 07/19/2012 10:06 AM
The Verge reports that Microsoft is developing a new line of "Wedge" keyboards for its Windows 8 operating system. The Wedge Mobile keyboard seems to be a small keyboard designed for mobile ...
NVIDIA to ship 4G LTE chip for ASUS Windows RT tablet - 07/18/2012 09:53 AM
NVIDIA will ship an Icera 4G LTE chip for an upcoming ASUS Windows RT based tablet. NVIDIA acquired Icera last year, the company's first Tegra chip with integrated LTE is expected in 2013. Asustek Com...
Intel WHQL Graphics Driver Windows 8 download - 07/14/2012 11:02 AM
Intel released their WHQL-certified graphics driver for the Microsoft