New codenames AMD Radeon Volcanic and Pirate Islands appear
The release notes of the 4.22 version of HWInfo application reveal new code names of upcoming AMD graphics chips. So far, the preliminary data of this tool always have been correct, so after Volcanic islands we now get Pirate Islands as well. Have a read after the break.
So HWInfo 4.22 was released today, and this appeared in the release notes:
- Added new nVidia GPU models: GeForce GT 710M,755M, Quadro K510M,K2100M,K4100M, GRID K100 and GRID K200.
- Added support of Intel Broadwell family.
- Added AMD Volcanic Islands/Crystal: Maui, Iceland/Topaz, Tonga/Amethyst.
- Added AMD Pirate Islands: Bermuda, Fiji, Treasure.
- Added AMD Carrizo, Amur, Bhavani.
The Volcanic Islands series is a family of GPUs developed by AMD, which will succeed the Sea Islands line. Volcanic Islands (VI) is expected to compete with the Nvidia Maxwell and second-generation Xeon Phi architectures, and is expected to be released in October, beginning of Q4 2013. The new VI GPUs would be manufactured on a 20 nm Gate-Last process through either TSMC or Common Platform Alliance.
Perhaps the most interesting codenames is coming down the pipe in 2015: Pirates Islands. Blackbeard, Captain Hook or well, Captain Jack Sparrow, bring it on. AMD's imaginative engineers are targeting the 20nm process with 14nm APUs in mind.
Har Matey !