Breakpoint 2009 Results Released
About one week ago, from the 10th to the 13th of April 2009, world's biggest demoparty, Breakpoint 2009 - "Everything is under control", took place for the 7th time in Bingen am Rhein, Germany. In case you are not familiar with what a demoparty is or why there are any results, check out this little explanation:
"A demoparty is -- on first view -- like a LAN party. Depending on the size, a few or hundreds of visitors may bring their computers and set them up at the location. Unlike a LAN party, Demoparties have an emphasis on creativity. Attendants are encouraged to compete in scheduled competitions (referred to by demosceners as 'compos'.) These 'compos', spread out over the length of the party, are in categories that allow the attendants to showcase their artistic talents with the use of computers.
In short: a demoparty is a multimedia art festival that usually lasts for several days.
The Demoscene considers itself as a loose connection of creative minds with passions of creating digital art. A 'demo' is created by groups of people, or sometimes single individuals, to DEMOnstrate their skills. The traditional skill base of the demoscene is considered to be coding, music, and design."
The competitions at this year's Breakpoint were held in these categories: ASCII/ANSI art, tracked music, animation/video, console/real wild, 96K game, executable 4K graphics, photo, handmade graphics, freestyle graphics, C64 graphics, exe music (newschool), exe music (oldschool), streaming music, C64 demo, Amiga 4K intro, Amiga 64K intro, Amiga demo, PC 4K intro, PC 64K intro, and last but certainly not least PC demo.
Without further ado, here are the official and final top ten results in both the PC 64K intro and PC demo competitions, which are arguably the most prominent:
PC 64K Intro:
01 (580 votes) 060659 - Rebels - download 02 (477 votes) Enigma Sequence - Approximate - download 03 (269 votes) squaredance - loonies - download 04 (267 votes) Diatom - andr00 - download 05 (215 votes) Chelewa - Australian Drug Foundation - download 06 (195 votes) atmta - quite - download 07 (194 votes) D4nce - Hikey^Ministry of 4KB Intros - download 08 (119 votes) Black hole - Hroudtwolf - download
01 (639 votes) Crush - Anadune + Floppy - download 02 (453 votes) Roadside Picnic - Brainstorm - download 03 (443 votes) PC-03: "ON/OFF" - GRX / Panda Cube - download 04 (434 votes) Birostris - Matt Current - download 05 (411 votes) fr-065: Euphotic - Farbrausch - download 06 (400 votes) Sonoluminescence - Loopit - download 07 (382 votes) LMSRMX - TOM - download 08 (369 votes) ZINE 14 Headlines - Conspiracy & Brainstorm - download 09 (326 votes) outside - ill - download 10 (308 votes) Delusional Beliefs - Darklite - downloadCrush - Anadune's + Floppy's winning PC demo entry:
AMD SB850 Chipset Specs
Information about AMDs upcoming SB850 chipset is very scarse for now, but some more details about it according to AMD
Core i5 Specifications and Prices Surface
Due to be released likely somewhere in October the first Core i5 specifications and prices appeared on the web through HKEPC. As you guys know, the Core i5 series will be based on yet another socket design, socket LGA 1156, making them incompatible with current Core i7 X58 motherboards.
The new processors will of course replace the Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo series of processors in the long run.
From what we can tell there will be three models released at launch, all are quad-core processors and based on the Lynnfield core, using 45nm fabrication process.
Some key features:
- Four x86 processing cores with support for HyperThreading technology
- Dual-channel DDR3 memory controller specified to run DDR3-1066 and DDR3-1333 modules
- 8 MB of L3 cache, and support for TurboBoost technology.
The three processors will have clock frequencies of 2.66 GHz, 2.80 GHz, and 2.93 GHz and priced respectively $196, $284, and $562 USD, which does seem rather expensive.
Download: evga precision 1.7
This program allows you to fine tune your GeForce graphics card for the maximum performance possible, with Core/Shader/Memory clock tuning, real time monitoring support including in-game, Logitech Keyboard LCD Display support, and compatibility with almost all EVGA (and other) graphics cards.
EVGA Precision v1.7.0 (2009-04-17)
- Considering that many third party EVGA Precision skins are still not updated to be compatible with 1.5.x and newer versions, now the Precision provides a temporary workaround and allows unlocking outdated skins usage (in reduced functionality mode). Experienced users may unlock outdated skins usage by setting ShowNonNativeSkins configuration file entry to 1. Please don't use the workaround as a long term solution and ask skin creator to provide the update if the skin you are using is invisible to Precision by default.
- Link button state is no longer restored improperly on multi-GPU systems when GPU synchronization mode is disabled.
- Fixed fan control for Forceware 17x.xx and older driver families.
- Now pressing "Apply" or "Reset all" button causes the Precision to forcibly re-apply current overclocking and fan control settings on multi-GPU systems when GPU synchronization mode is enabled even when master GPU setttings are not being altered. The enhancement ensures more correct GPU synchronization functionality on the systems with several differently clocked cards.
- Now Precision displays GPU synchronization indicators on GPU selection icons to ensure easy identification of all GPUs synchronized with the master GPU on multi-GPU systems.
- Improved stress-test results handling on multi-GPU systems working in GPU synchronization mode.
- Added internal hardware emulation layer for simplifying distant debugging and testing process.
- Now Precision allows assigning a global hotkey for capturing desktop/in-game screenshots using built-in screen capture features of EVGA On-Screen Display server. Please take a note that similar to the server's On-Screen Display limitations, screen capture functionality is also currently not available in native 64-bit applications and in Direct3D10 applications when multisampled antialiasing is enabled.
- Now Precision allows assigning a global hotkey for toggling On-Screen Display visibility in addition to the previously available hotkeys explicitly showing and hiding the On-Screen Display
- Now Precision displays warnings when you are trying to display too many text information in the On-Screen Display causing the displayed information to be truncated
- EVGA On-Screen Display Server has been updated to version 3.3.0
- Minor user interface cleanups
Download - click here
Daily deals April 17 2009
Aah the weekend is near again, time for a new update on some great hardware deals I spotted. This week I like to run you though a couple of deals related to DDR memory. Never underestimate the amount of memory in your system.
These days, 2 GB at minimum is recommended. But it's so cheap these days that we just recommend to go for 4 GB instantly. Of course if you are on a 64-bit operating system .. and in combo with X58 / Core i7 .. yeah .. we'd recommend you to go for triple channel memory, 6 GB my man. Anyway let's walk through some nice deals:
DDR2 memory deals:
- Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 - if you like to stick with 2GBmemory, you never can go wrong with a Corsair kit. This is PC2-6400 memory meaning it will run at 800 Mhz and it can do that at CAS 4 as well. We have a super deal at $29.99
- Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Performance 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 - Here we have exactly the same kit, yet now 2x 2Gb modules for 4 GB of memory. We spotted it for $61.99
- OCZ Technology Reaper HPC Edition 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 - oh here is a nice one, Reaper memory, always great timings and very tweakable. And they have the funky heatspreaders. At 800MHz, the 4GB Edition runs at 5-5-5 latency timings and it's fairly cheap at $54.99
DDR3 memory deals
- Patriot Memory Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) - For the value minded, two GB of memory from patriot. These modules are designed to operate at 1600MHz at 9-9-9 24 timings, selling for $47.99
- Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB PC3-10666 DDR3 - A seriously nice kit which can manage 1333 frequencies. 4GB at $67.99
- OCZ Technology Gold 6GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 - Now if you go X58 / Core i7 and want to save a little on price, this has got to be the best memory deal I have seen in a while. Get this, 6 GB triple channel 1600 MHz Gold series memory from OCZ at a price of $84.99, (hot deal!) seriously that's an incredible price.
That's it for this update, have a snazzy weekend !
Samsung Ships Self-Encrypting SSD Drives
Samsung Electronics Co. announced on Thursday that it is shipping 1.8-in. and 2.5-in. self-encrypting solid state drives. The drives are targeting handheld devices and laptops, respectively. Available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB versions, Dell already decided to offer them as an optional upgrade for its Latitude line of laptops. These new solid state drives are the results of a collaboration between Samsung Electronics and Wave Systems and present the industry's first self-encrypting SSDs.
"Samsung has combined the tremendous performance advantages of solid state technology with integrated hardware encryption for drives designed especially for today's 'road warrior' professionals,
Versions and Dates of Office 2010 Announced
Microsoft announced on Wednesday that "Office 2010 will be finished and ready to send to manufacturers in the first half of next year." Besides that, Office 2010, formerly known under its code name "Office 14", is going to be released in two different flavors: 32-bit and 64-bit, making it the first Office to support both platforms. Another interesting tidbit is the ad-supported, free, and reasonably slimmed-down, Web-based version of Office 2010, which was announced at the Professional Developer Conference in Los Angeles, September 2008. Businesses, which want to use the Web-based version without the ads, will have to pay a fee to Microsoft.
The Office suite is going to include Word 14, Excel 14, Powerpoint 14, Outlook 14, Access 14, InfoPath Designer 14, InfoPath Filler 14, Publisher 14, Groove 14, InterConnect 14, SharePoint Designer 14, OneNote 14, Visio 14, and Project 14.
Further, "Microsoft plans to let hundreds of thousands of people test a technical preview of the new Office portfolio starting in the third quarter of 2009, Capossela," a senior vice president in the Microsoft group that makes Office, "said. The company did not say whether average PC users will have a chance to test a more polished beta version."
BFG Deal on LS-450 PSU
If you reside in the US or Canada .. and are in need of a mid-range PSU, BFG is offering a deal on LS-450 PSU.
Now, for a limited time, the BFG LS-450 power supply is only $49.99 includiong FREE GROUND SHIPPING! (Save $40!)
Use coupon code, "LS450SAVE" during checkout.
- 80 Plus Certified
- Quiet 120MM Fan
- Rated at continuous output at 40C
- All cables fully sleeved
Only available through the BFG Store. Seriously, great deal ...
Pirate Bay loses trial: defendants face prison time, hefty fines
The four defendants in The Pirate Bay versus entertainment industry trial have been found guilty in a Swedish court of being accessories to breaching copyright laws.
The verdict was handed down to four men behind the notorious BitTorrent tracker site this morning in a court in Stockholm. "The Stockholm district court has today found guilty the four individuals that were charged with accessory to breaching copyright laws," the court said in a statement. "The court has sentenced each of them to one year in prison."
Additionally, the defendants have been ordered to pay 30 million Swedish crowns ($3.58m). Big entertainment companies including Universal, MGM and Sony have been seeking damages of more than 100 million crowns ($12m) in lost sales. The Pirate Bay Co-founders Peter Sunde, Carl Lundstr
SpacePilot PRO mouse revealed
Okay .. most niche gadget of the year ? What do you think ? The SpacePilot PRO mouse went on sale today from 3Dconnexion and let us tell you, this thing is pretty high-tech. While it is designed specifically for engineering tasks, it has a style all its own that you should know about.
With a cap controller, this mouse can be used to navigate through 3D environments. This
Thermalright Cogage brand for mainstream CPU coolers
Thermalright today introduced the Cogage, a new brand for mainstream computer and gaming gear.
The first products within this lineup will be the True Spirit and MST-140 processor coolers. The TRUE Spirit is a tower HSF for the Intel Core i7 (LGA1366) processors, it has four heatpipes, copper base, 48 aluminum fins and a 120mm PWM fan with a noise level of 19.6-37.4dBA and air flow of 35-66.5CFM. The cooler measures 133mm x 156mm x 38mm (L x W x H) and weighs 670g. It should be available for around $40.
Also new is the Cogage MST-140, this cooler aims to cool both your processor and the surrounding MOSFET and northbridge area. This product is designed for Intel LGA775 and 1366 processors. It has a four heatpipes, copper base, aluminum fins and a 140mm fan with a noise level of 33.5dBA and airflow of 94.7CFM. It measures 144mm x 147mm x 70.2mm (L x W x H) and weighs 410g (without fan).
Square Enix announces Order of War
Ooh, this one looks nice alright. Software house Square Enix announced Wargaming.net's World War II real-time strategy game, Order of War, this Autumn. The game will be released exclusively on the PC playufor (yay!).
Press-release - In the summer of 1944, the Second World War entered its end-game when the Allies launched two major operations that would drive back German forces on both the Western and Eastern Fronts at once. In the ultimate test of military strategy, ORDER OF WAR will challenge you not only to lead America
Best Selling Games is US for March 2009
Okay champs, you guus ready for the best selling games in the US for March 2009 ? Here are the NPD results:
- Empire: Total War / Creative Assembly / $48
- World Of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King / Blizzard / $38
- The Sims 2 Double Deluxe / EA Maxis / $19
- Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II / Relic / $48
- World Of Warcraft Battle Chest / Blizzard / $38
- World Of Warcraft / Blizzard / $20
- The Sims 2 Apartment Life Exp. Pack / EA Maxis / $19
- Spore / EA Maxis / $49
- World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack / Blizzard / $29
- Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst / Big Fish Games / $20
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 / EA LA / $28
- StarCraft Battle Chest / Blizzard / $20
- Fallout 3 / Bethesda / $49
- Civilization IV / Firaxis / $21 (Average)
- Empire: Total War - Special Forces Edition / Creative Assembly / $70
- The Sims 2 Pets Exp. Pack / EA Maxis / $19
- Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning / EA Mythic / $29
- The Sims 2 University Exp. Pack / EA Maxis / $19
- Call Of Duty: World At War / Treyarch / $50
- Diablo Battle Chest / Blizzard / $36
GeForce GTX 275 shootout BFG | Inno3D | Palit | Sparkle
A week or two ago NVIDIA announced it's latest graphics card positioned in the high-end region, called the GeForce GTX 275. The GeForce GTX 275 is a bit of a hybrid card in-between the GeForce GTX 260 and GeForce GTX 285. NVIDIA launched the GeForce GTX 275 in an allergic reaction to team red's product to show and flex their rendering muscle.
As such we figured to cease the moment and show you a couple of retail boards. For this article, a total of five GeForce GTX 275 graphics cards will be put to the test. We take the NVIDIA reference sample, two reference clocked products and two pre-overclocked products to see where we are at in terms of performance, cooling and features among the difference AIB/AIC partners.
Check out this Guru3D article right here.
ASUS widens GENE Pool with Second mATX Motherboard
Very quick after the release of the Rampage II GENE ASUS now unveiled Maximus II GENE - the second high-performance micro ATX motherboard that is part of the company's Republic of Gamers line-up.
Based on the Intel P45 Express Chipset, the Maximus II GENE delivers overclocking friendly environmnet for the Intel Core 2 Extreme/Quad/Duo platform. The board has four DDR2 1300/1200/1066/800/667 MHz memory slots (up to 16 GB), two PCI-Express x16 slots for CrossFire setups, 7 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports, a built-in SupremeFX X-Fi 8 channel sound from Creative and a lot more. As with the ROG Rampage II GENE, the Maximus II GENE offers a wealth of other high-end features including MemOK!, CPU Level Up, Keyboard-TweakIt, Extreme Tweaker, iROG, Loadline Calibration, LCD Poster, EPU-6 Engine, and Voltiminder LED. Also, inside the package of every motherboard, ASUS has kindly included full-version of Kaspersky anti-virus, and a license for Futuremark 3DMark06 Advanced Edition.
ASUS has not shared details on the pricing and availability of the Maximus II GENE mATX board.
AMD mobile CPU roadmap leaked
Well this is news. It seems like a few slides that were confidential to AMD got leaked out and now expreview has them on display. So long as they
Intel Q1 income down 55%, Atom sales drop
Intel on Tuesday reported its first-quarter financial information, showing a 55-percent drop in income while revenue slid 26-percent to $7.1 billion year-over-year. The company also experienced a drop in gross margin from 53 percent last year to 45.6 percent this year, explained by higher factory-underutilization charges and startup costs.
Despite the growth of the netbook segment, sales of Atom processors and chipsets fell 27 percent sequentially. In April of last year, the company was said to be experiencing a shortage of the components and less than 40 percent of the requests were being met.
Reacting to the netbook boom, other chip-makers such as AMD have developed competing products. VIA is also working on new CPUs for small portable devices, with the Nano E-series featuring a 1,333MHz front system bus speed expected to arrive soon. Qualcomm and Freescale recently announced plans to expand their ARM-based component offerings for netbooks.
Intel already shipped 32nm CPU samples
Intel CEO Paul Otellini unveiled his company has shipped thousands of 32nm Westmere processor samples to over 30 EOM customers: