Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed
WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player
In addition to Netflix, the WD TV Live Plus HD media player also enables users to stream personalized Internet content from YouTube, Flickr, Pandora, Live365, as well as the MediaFly network which includes daily podcasts from CNN, NBC, MTV, ESPN and other online content providers1. Unlike most other Netflix-capable devices, the WD TV Live Plus HD media player also lets consumers enjoy a broad variety of the digital media they already own, creating a unified entertainment experience.
The onscreen menu brings together all of the users' available media in an elegant and simple-to-navigate interface, while the network capability enables users to stream movies from PC or Mac computers, USB storage devices such as My Passport portable hard drives, My Book desktop drives, or network-attached storage such as WD's My Book World Edition and WD ShareSpace to their HDTVs. Compatible with Windows 7, the WD TV Live Plus HD media player enables the Windows 7 Play To feature so users can initiate and control the streaming of video, music or photos to the media player and home entertainment systems from any Windows 7-based PC on their network.
The WD TV Live Plus HD media player fulfills consumers' growing demand for large libraries of digital videos, photos and music. According to research firm Parks Associates, the average broadband household will see its digital media storage needs grow to nearly 900 GB by year-end 2014. And users are increasingly looking for easy ways to enjoy the content on the big screen. Parks' findings reveal that the sales of connected consumer electronics devices, such as connected TVs and digital media adapters, is expected to more than double from 57 million units in 2009 to 115 million units in 2013 (Home Networks for Consumer Electronics 2009).
Similar to the popular generations of WD TV HD media players that preceded it, the WD TV Live Plus HD media player connects directly to a users' HDTV and plays almost any file stored on a connected USB drive such as My Passport portable hard drives. The WD TV Live Plus HD media player features powerful media processing, which enables playback in Full-HD 1080p resolution. WD TV Live Plus HD media player also plays movies, music and photos stored on other popular USB devices such as digital camcorders and digital cameras.
"Netflix has become a 'must have' for consumer electronics devices," said Netflix vice president of business development Bill Holmes. "We're proud to align with WD to include Netflix on WD's groundbreaking WD TV Live Plus HD media player."
"While Netflix can be found on an increasing number of products such as Internet TVs, Blu-ray Players, video game consoles, and other stand-alone devices, the WD TV Live Plus media player is unique as it allows digital media buffs to access and play all of their own personal HD media stored anywhere on their network or USB drives. At the same time they can easily stream Netflix, Pandora, YouTube and other Internet favorites to their HDTV," said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD's branded products group.
WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player
Features of the WD TV Live Plus HD media player include:
- Full-HD 1080p video playback and navigation with the included remote control and crisp, animated navigation menus;
- Access to thousands of TV episodes and movies to watch instantly for any Netflix member with an unlimited subscription;
- Wireless ready to support wireless network connection to your home network with an optional USB wireless adapter, which is sold separately;
- Supports a wide variety of the most popular file formats with no need to spend time transcoding;
- Play videos, music and photos from the Internet on your big screen TV and discover new music with Pandora Internet radio or listen to thousands of radio stations via Live365 Internet radio, daily podcasts from the MediaFly network including CNN, NBC, MTV, ESPN and other online content providers;
- Ethernet port for wired or WiFi connection2 to access files anywhere on the network to play movies, music, and photos from any PC or drive on a home network;
- Turns a USB drive into an HD media player and plays content from most popular USB drives, digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices;
- Unlimited media collection, just add more USB drives for more space; Two USB ports that allow seamless media playback from multiple USB drives displayed in a single list and sorted by media type;
- Windows 7-compatible Play To feature enables users to stream Windows 7 computer files to the TV through WD TV Plus HD media player;
- Transfer files by copying, moving or deleting files stored on a USB drive, a network drive, camcorder, or a camera to the attached USB drive using the on-screen menus;
- Works with digital cameras, digital video cameras and any other digital imaging device that supports Picture Transfer Protocol;
- Advanced navigation options including thumbnail and list views, media library and search;
- Photo viewing to create custom slide shows, zoom and pan and search;
- Movie viewing with fast-forward, rewind, pause, zoom and pan, view subtitles, and search;
- Music playback with fast-forward, rewind, pause, shuffle, repeat and search; HDMI 1.3 port, composite video and component video output4 for the highest quality HDTV or home theater;
- SPDIF digital output that sends digital signals to your AV receiver for the best surround sound experience; and,
- Ultra-compact design to fit easily into a home entertainment center.
VIA EITX-3001 squeezes 1080p HD playback onto tiny mainboard
You can generally rely on VIA for a skinny mainboard with HD credentials, and their new VIA EITX-3001 doesn
NVIDIA GF104, GF106 and GF108 roadmap surfaces
In mid-July we will be seeing a "460" or "GF104" GPU from NVIDIA. It should MSRP around $230 and have very good overclocking potential. The 450 and 455, "GF106" series GPU will hitting the ground in mid-August and will be retailing at $129 - $179 price points, these GPUs will be replacing the 250 series. The 240 will be replaced in August or September by a "GF108."
The most interesting product will of course be the GeForce GTX 460. The specifications as rumored thuis far show that the GPU will make use of all the components available on the GF104, which include 240 CUDA cores, and will feature 768 MB of GDDR5 memory across a 192-bit wide memory interface. That's pretty much everything available.
OCZ StealthXStream 2 PSU series
OCZ released the StealthXStream 2, a new series of non-modular power supplies that are cooled by a 120mm fan and feature an efficiency of up to 85 percent.
Redesigned to provide higher efficiencies, quieter operation, and a sleeker updated look, the StealthXStream 2 Series offers an excellent value for performance to accompany home, gaming, or enthusiast systems.
"Three years ago we launched the original StealthXStream PSU line with the goal of delivering a power supply with the right balance of performance, features, and value," said Alex Mei, CMO at the OCZ Technology Group. "The new StealthXStream 2 is the natural evolution of this popular line and features an updated core, a sleeker more compact form factor making it easy to integrate into any chassis and plenty of stable power for dual GPU platforms, and with a complete range of models to choose customers can select the perfect wattage for their unique system configuration."
Qualified under the expertise of the Power Management division at PC Power & Cooling, the StealthXStream 2 is built for superior reliability at an extremely affordable price point. Designed for the value-minded consumer seeking quiet performance and an understated design, the StealthXStream 2 is ideal for system builders and enthusiasts who prefer a low-key PSU that even at peak loads remains virtually silent and excludes flashy LEDs to ensure it is not seen or heard. Additionally, the PSU is kept supremely cool with a newly upgraded 120mm ball-bearing fan for additional noise reduction.
Available in up to 700W configurations, the StealthXStream 2 is well-suited for driving higher end systems and provides sufficient output to power dual-GPU and CPU platforms (SLI and CrossFire Ready). Meeting all energy saving requirements, the series features 80-Plus
Point of View adds new game bundles
Danamics LMX Superleggera (liquid metal) CPU cooler review
Danamics LMX Superleggera (liquid metal) CPU cooler review
It has been a topic of much discussion, the liquid metal based LMX CPU cooler from Danamics. With actual liquid metal inside a heatpipe loop, which is circulated by a electromagnetic pump creating flow inside the CPU cooler, touching the aluminum heat fins which are armed with two fans to quickly and easily get rid of heat. Stuff from the future? Hmm, nope... we test the real thing.
You can check out this Guru3D review right here.
ATI Southern Islands GPU still expected in 2010
AMD did not show off any new GPUs at Computex, even behind closed doors, but that Southern Islands is still on track for a 2010 launch. Chips that cannot be demonstrated in early June naturally do not come out during back-to-school (BTS) season, a crucial timeframe for computer makers and chipmakers.
But according to a news-story published by Computer Base web-site, ATI has a clear intention to release its Southern Islands this year and sometimes in the autumn, not winter. The SI family will offer higher performance compared to currently available ATI Radeon HD 5000
VisionTek Killer 2100 Gaming NIC
VisionTek partnered with Bigfoot to launch its Killer 2100 gaming network cardat $129.99 to get a couple of milliseconds less latency in their favorite online games.
VisionTek Products today announced the official launch of the VisionTek Killer
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days E3 2010 Trailer
SBK Superbike World Championship
This one has all the good graphics to be a instant classic if this superior images go hand in hand with superior gameplay, but, because the game is not out, we can only guest it's gameplay by reading this preview of the game. For all of those interested in bikes, this is a must read.
DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) out for Grabs
Supported Operating Systems:
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Essential Business Server; Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs; Windows Home Server; Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003 x64 editions; Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Web Edition; Windows Server 2008; Windows Server 2008 Datacenter; Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V; Windows Server 2008 Enterprise; Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V; Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2008 Standard; Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V; Windows Small Business Server 2003 ; Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium; Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard ; Windows Vista; Windows Vista 64-bit Editions Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic; Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Premium; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Service Pack 2; Windows Vista Starter; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows Web Server 2008; Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit; Windows XP Embedded; Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 1; Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2 ; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Service Pack 3; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
The DirectX redist installation includes all the latest and previous released DirectX runtime. This includes the bi-monthly D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components.
PassMark MonitorTest 3.0 build 1003
PassMark MonitorTest is a tool that allows users to investigate the quality and performance of their computer monitor or LCD flat panel screens. With more people spending more time in front of computer monitors it is important to purchase a quality monitor that will provide crisp, bright images, while reducing the strain on your eyes. The MonitorTest software generates test patterns on the screen at a variety of different resolutions and color depths to test for optimum visual performance. Each of 25 different test screens have been created to test a particular aspect of the monitors performance.
As a monitor is often the most expensive part of a computer system, this type of testing is essential for the adjustment & selection of a quality monitor. Users would include computer repair centers, system integrators, quality assurance personnel, graphic designers and anyone that cares about the quality of their monitor. MonitorTest runs in Windows and will work at any resolution, aspect ratio and color depth supported by your monitor and graphics card.
iPhone 4 announced, launching June 24 for $199
The iPhone 4 uses a microSIM card, has a new forward facing camera, as well as a unique integrated antenna system that puts the antennas along the exterior edge of the phone's body. The left side of the phone's stainless steel outer casing is home to Bluetooth, WiFi, and GPS antennas while the right side houses the UMTS and GSM antennas. The phone also has a glass front face and a glass rear face, and both panels are scratch resistant and offer better optical quality. The side of the phone is also home to volume keys and a mute button. The top of the phone offers a second microphone for noise cancellation, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a sleep/wake power button.
The display on the iPhone 4 uses a new "Retina display" technology that improves the sharpness of text and images on the screen for easier viewing by displaying 326 pixels per inch. According to Apple, when 10 to 12 inches away from the screen, the human eye can't make out individual pixels on this display. The Retina display offers a 960 x 460 resolution with an 800:1 contrast ratio, and uses In Plane Switching (IPS) technology that Steve Jobs says is preferable to the OLED displays currently in demand. Despite being a 3.5-inch screen, it has 78 percent of the pixels that the iPad's 10 inch display does.
The iPhone 4 is powered by an A4 processor designed by Apple and has a large battery that Jobs claims is good enough for up to 7 hours of talk time, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours browsing over WiFi, 40 hours of music, 10 hours of video playback, or over 300 hours of standby time.
In terms of connectivity, the iPhone 4 has quad-band HSPA(INFO) 3G network support that is good for a theoretical 7.2Mbps download speeds or 4.8Mbps of upload speed. It also has 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity, a compass, and an accelerometer. Apple has decided to add a 3-axis gyroscope sensor, as well, which will offer six axis orientation sensing for gaming when paired with the accelerometer.
The new iPhone 4 also includes a 5 megapixel camera with a backside illuminated sensor that allows more photon to reach the sensor. It also has a tap-to-focus autofocus system, 5x digital zoom, and an LED flash. The camera is capable of recording video in HD at a 720p resolution, and the iPhone has built-in video editing software. Apple also announced iMovie for iPhone, which will be available for $4.99.
The phone will run iOS 4, which is a renamed version of iPhone OS 4. The OS will support folders, as well as multitasking. It includes 1,500 developers APIs and 100 new features for users. iOS 4 also includes a unified email inbox as well as message threading. To create a folder, a user simply has to drag one app on top of another.
Jobs also said that iOS4 has deeper enterprise support, which includes SSL VPN, Exchange Server 2010 support, and better security features for data and device managem
Crysis 2 'Master Pinger' Trailer
ECS working on high-end P55H-AK board
I always get a little excited when I see a manufacturer move into "the next level". ECS is one of these companies that everybody remembers from their OEM motherboards, initial purple colored withfairly 'average' build quality as everythign was budget.
ECS however has been growing steadily in the retail market, and especially the Black series motherboards started to make a difference a year or two ago. But still, we always stumble into something that leaves room for improvement adn ECS always listnen. With next years chipset I tell you, ECS will become an even more important player into the market as the upcoming lineup looks fantastic.
On the short term though (end of June) they will be launching the P55H-AK motherboard. This motherboards supports full speed SLI and Crossfire by way of the included NVIDIA NF200 chipset that provides additional PCI Express lanes, up-to 3-way SLI will be supported in a 16:8:8 PCIe lanes configuration. Adding to the gaming side, ECS also uses the Realtek ALC899 chip for audio and that's then tied into a Creative Labs suite somehow, as the board supports a new feature called Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 -- opening up EAX and the Creative software suite.
On this motherboard ECS added not one, but two NEC USB 3.0 controllers providing four USB 3.0 ports
Afterburner 1.6.0 Final out for grabs!
After two month of Beta development, MSI & Guru3D happily announce Afterburner 1.6.0 Final version. Thanks for all the feedback from you guys during the Beta period.
In this version, Afterburner is world first utility to support over-voltage of GeForce GTX 480/470/465, it also implements screen capture function for DX10 and DX11 games and monitor history function. Also, built-in benchmark Kombustor has a lot of improvement. MSI encourage all graphics card users to try it, even you don't have a MSI graphics card. (but they highly recommend you to buy one!)
We plan to announce our next major Afterburner revision in coming month, we can assure you the best will be EVEN BETTER in next version! Stay tuned!
[Afterburner v1.6.0 Changelog]
- Added NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 series graphics cards support (including voltage control!)
- Added voltage control for MSI N240GT Low Profile series graphics cards
- Changed marketing name for MSI R5670-PD512 in hardware database
- Added basic screen capture support by means of built-in screen capture engine of MSI On-Screen Display server. Now it is possible to assign the hotkey for capturing screenshots in BMP,PNG or JPG formats on desktop, in DirectX or in OpenGL applications
- Added hardware monitoring history logging support. Now MSI Afterburner is able to save history in native RivaTuner Hardware Monitoring Log file format. The log files captured with MSI Afterburner can be viewed in any text editor like Notepad or in graphics form in RivaTuner's HML file viewer (RivaTuner must be installed for viewing log files in graphics form)
- Added new safety option allowing forcing constant voltage on some cards with voltage regulators supporting programmable dynamic voltage management (e.g. VT1165 or uP6266). New safety option may improve stability on some systems a well as provide power state independent voltage control on the systems with non-standard voltage control implementation
- Screen capture and On-Screen Display hotkey events are now being processed via direct connection to the On-Screen Display server instead of command line. Due to this change Screen capture and On-Screen Display visibility control hotkeys are being processed faster now
- MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.7.1. New server gives you a lot of improvements including:
- DirectX11 On-Screen Display and screen capture support
- DirectX screen capture engine is no longer using DirectX runtimes to capture and compress screenshots. Screen capture and compression to PNG/JPG formats in DirectX applications is now handled by own more effective LIBPNG/JPEGLIB based library
- PNG and JPG screen capture support for desktop and OpenGL applications
- Adjustable JPG screen capture quality for experienced users
- Screen capture support for DirectX10 and DirectX11 applications using multisampled antialiasing or non-standard frame buffer formats (e.g. sRGB)
- Optional On-Screen Display 3D rendering mode. New mode uses 3D accelerated DirectX functions to emulate previously used 2D framebuffer access functions and render 2D text. New rendering mode provides On-Screen Display support in DirectX10 and DirectX11 applications using multisampled antialiasing and can also drastically reduce OSD related performance hit on the systems with badly optimized 2D acceleration in display drivers
- Simplified On-Screen Display coordinate space settings. Rarely used desktop and window coordinate space modes have been merged into single framebuffer coordinate space mode
- Now the server automatically selects framebuffer coordinate space instead of viewport coordinate space when viewport is not accessible (e.g. if pure Direct3D8 device is in use)
- Improved application notification scheme during runtime profiles adjustment. Now runtime changes in OSD application profiles (e.g. OSD zoom ratio change on the fly) are reflected in affected application almost immedaitely instead of approximately 1 second delay in the previos versions
- Reduced runtime skin engine memory footprint due to dynamic skin storage unloading
- Improved race condition protection system for multithreaded 3D engines (e.g. Age of dragons : Origins and ArmA II)
- Improved race condition protection system for the systems running multiple OSD applications simultaneously (e.g. OSD server, FRAPS and STEAM In-Game Chat)
- Improved floating injection address hooking technology. Due to more advanced built-in code analyzer hooks can be injected deeper into 3D application code if stealth mode is enabled. These changes improve stealth mode compatibility with third party tools using similar stealth injection technologies (e.g. FRAPS v2.9.8 and newer)
- Now stealth mode cannot be toggled during 3D application runtime to reduce the risk of crashing 3D application
- Removed single screen capture per second limitation
- Updated profiles list
- Now MSI Afterburner distributive includes original 128x128 PNG application logo (stored in .\Graphics folder) for dockbar applications like RocketDock or ObjectDock
- It is no longer necessary to close the application to save monitoring window attachment state
- [Stop the task if it runs longer than 3 days] option is no longer set in the task settings when using alternate startup mode via the task scheduler under Windows Vista / Windows 7
- Full list active of On-Screen Display server clients is now displayed in window instead of the most recent client
- Floating tooltips help system is now reinitialized properly after runtime skin switching
- Added Ukrainian localization
[Kombustor v1.0.10 Changelog]
- Bugfix: when PCB1 temperature was enabled in Afterburner OSD, the PCB temperature was copied in GPU temperture.
- Bugfix: in ATI cards indexing. The sorting is now the same than Afterburner.
- Bugfix: config file was not properly loaded when Kombustor is launched from Afterburner.
HIS launches R5500 series low profile passive
HIS today unleashes new budget GPU. based on the Radeon HD 5550 and Radeon HD 5570, both cards make use of GDDR5 memory.
The cards will be placed onto the market in both 512 MB and 1 GB versions all clocked at at 1000 MHz (4 GHz effective). The 5500 series is based on the 40 nm Redwood core and packs 320 stream processors on the HD 5550. The card has a a 128-bit wide memory interface that normally holds GDDR3 or DDR2 memory for the HD 5500 series SKUs. HIS upped it a notch by using GDDR5. The HD 5570 has GPU operating at 650 MHz, while on the HD 5550, it runs at 550 MHz. The low-profile cards are also silent, with a passive cooler that occupies a single expansion slot doing the job of cooling the memory and GPU.
The HD 5550 512 MB GDDR5 card sells at 89 EUR, while the 1 GB variant at 99 EUR. Pricing of the HD 5570 cards are to be announced.