GlobalFoundries Shows AMD Llano and Orochi 8-Core
GlobalFoundries offers a little preview at one of the upcoming Fusion processors from AMD, the Orochi based on the Bulldozer architecture as Softpedia reports.
Bobcat's firstborn will be the 40nmOntario mobile chip and comes with embedded DirectX 11 graphics. is intended for desktops and servers with Orochi being one of the flagship chips.
No real information was provided on this 8-core product besides that it will be the second 32nm-based product and will be built immediately after the Llano. The Orochi will feature a set of 4 Bulldozer modules, which provide 8 cores and 8 threads, and will probably have an AM3+ package with an integrated DDR3 memory controller.
On the other hand, the individual L2 caches will be of 1MB and will support dual-channel DDR3 and will, of course, have its own built-in graphics with support for DirectX 11.The APU should also feature an integrated northbridge, integrated PCI Express root complex, a HyperTransport interface to the chipset and an integrated SIMD array with 480 stream processors.
The Llano will have to compete with the Sandy Bridge processors from Intel, which also have integrated graphics and will feature better performance than the current Core series [via Softpedia / PCPer].
Click the thumbnails.
AMD Radeon HD 6800 series might launch in 2011?
A Polish tech site PCLab claims an AMD employee leaked information about the launch dates of upcoming Radeon HD 6000 series graphics cards. The site claims the Radeon HD 6000 series will be more than a minor refresh, and that the card will be more power efficient and be faster clock-for-clock than the current generation.
AMD will reportedly first release entry-level and mainstream Radeon HD 6000 graphics cards sometime in the fourth quarter of this year, but where it gets a little bit weird is that the dual-GPU Radeon HD 6970 will allegedly arrive first by Christmas 2010, with the Radeon HD 6800 cards to follow in early 2011.
Widespread rumours suggest that the first release is indeed a mainstream card - the Radeon HD 6700 series - on October 13th 2010. However, the schedules of the other HD 6800 and HD 6970 come as a surprise, especially the dual-GPU HD 6970 releasing before the HD 6800 series. Of course, the HD 6970 being a dual-GPU HD 6770 is also a possibility. The other cards in the family - HD 6500/6600/etc., are not mentioned explicitly, though it is implied they might release before the HD 6800 series.
Creative debuts two Sound Blaster Tactic 3D gaming headsets
Creative presents two new gaming headsets with THX TruStudio Pro technology.
Creative, a worldwide leader in digital entertainment products, today announced the new line of Tactic 3D
PS3 Jailbreak Code loose on the web
Note: With the release of PSGroove opensource PS JailBreak exploit for PS3, many are having trouble sourcing the required Teensy++, AT90USBKEY2 or AT90USB162 boards. That said, today PS3JailBreak.com has shared schematics for the Teensy so that users can build their own if they wish [via ggmania].
GPU-Z 0.4.6 Download
GPU-Z is a lightweight utility designed to give you all information about your video card and GPU.
Changes in version 0.4.6:
- Added MSI hardware giveaway
- Fixed temperature readings getting stuck on ADT7473 sensor (GTX 400 cards)
- Fixed broken BIOS reading on all cards
- General improvements to Intel support, still far from perfect
- Added support for ATI FirePro V8750
- Added support for GeForce GTS 455, GTS 450, GT 440, GT 430, GT 420, GT 330, GT218 based ION, GTX 470M, GTX 460M, GT 445M, GT 435M, GT 425M, GT 420M, GT 415M, GeForce 310M
- Added basic detection for AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
- Improved handling for unknown NVIDIA cards
- Added fan RPM monitoring for NVIDIA cards
Afterburner 2.0.0 Final download
Afterburner is world first utility to support over-voltage of GeForce GTX 480/470/465, it also implement screen capture function for DX10 and DX11 games and monitor history function. Also, built-in benchmark Kombustor has a lot of improvement. MSI encourage all graphics card users to try it, even you don't have a MSI graphics card. (but they highly recommend you to buy one!)
We announce new version 2.0.0 of highly-acclaimed MSI Afterburner. The most important function of Afterburner 2.0.0 is "Triple over-voltage" and you can start to use it on our hot-selling N460GTX Hawk that also is announced and reviewed here today.
We plan to announce our next major Afterburner revision in coming month, we can assure you the best will be EVEN BETTER in next version! Stay tuned!
- Voltage control layer has been seriously revamped to give additional freedom to extreme overclockers with new custom design MSI graphics cards. Now MSI Afterburner is able to control up to 3 voltages on custom design MSI Fermi and other future custom design MSI graphics cards. New adjustable voltages include memory voltage and special multi-purpose auxiliary voltage feeding either memory bus (also known as VDDCI on AMD graphics cards) or PCIE bus and crystal (PEXVDD on NVIDIA graphics cards)
- Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N480GTX Lighning series graphics cards with uP6225+uP6262 voltage regulators
- Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II OV3 series graphics cards with uP6218+uP6262 voltage regulators
- Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N460GTX Hawk series graphics cards with uP6262 voltage regulators
- Added core voltage control for custom design MSI N460GTX Cyclone series graphics cards
- Added auxiliary VDDCI voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON HD 5870 series graphics cards
- Added fan tachometer monitoring for NVIDIA graphics cards. Please take a note that not all graphics cards are tachometer reading capable. So depending on graphics card and cooling system fan tachometer monitoring can be unavailable
- Optimized NVIDIA driver-level clock frequency monitoring codepath
- Minimum clock limits for all graphics cards have been reduced from 75% to 50%
- Dynamic overclocking, voltage and fan speed limits. MSI Afterburner no longer uses static slider limits calibration and adjusts the limits dynamically when some external factors affect it (e.g. Overdrive clock limits on AMD cards or VGA BIOS fan speed and voltage limits on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 cards)
- New temperature hysteresis settings for software automatic fan control mode gives you additional way to improve cooling system thermal and acoustic parameters
- Now fan speed limits (i.e. minimum and maximum fan speeds accepted by VGA BIOS and display driver) are displayed in custom fan speed curve editor window
- Built-in skin sizes have been reduced due to optimized internal skin panels representation and optimized compiled bitmap cache
- Optional skin compression ability in the built-in skin compiler. Skin format reference documentation has been updated to document new compression options
- Minor built-in skins appearance tweaks
- Now MSI Afterburner uses previously undocumented power user oriented startup mode via the task scheduler under Windows Vista / Windows 7. MSI Afterburner launch no longer requires UAC confirmation at Windows startup. Please take a note that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 runtime libraries must be installed to get new startup mode working
- Now MSI Afterburner automatically fixes startup link if
or is enabled but the registry or task scheduler startup entry is missing
- Startup profile is now displayed in
option floating tooltip instead of the main window
- Now power users can enable optional DirectInput based hotkeys handler via the configuration file. DirectInput based hotkeys processing can seriously reduces hotkey response time in the applications heavily loading CPU (mostly 3D games) and leaving not enough time for processing standard keyboard input message queues. Please take a note that enabling such sophisticated hotkeys handling mode can cause some system security applications (e.g. pro-active application behavior analysis module of KIS) to warn you about possible keylogging threat
- Improved skin engine, now skinned controls support horizontal and/or vertical centering. Skin format reference guide has been updated to document these new alignment modes
- MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.7.2. New version gives you the following improvements:
- Now screen capture events are identified visually by text message flashing in On-Screen Display during 0.25s
- Built-in skin sizes have been reduced due to optimized compiled bitmap cache
- Added On-Screen Display profile for Startcraft II : Wings of Liberty
- Added configuration file switch allowing sending MSI Afterburner to system tray instead of closing on
button click option is no longer set in the startup task settings to allow automatically starting application via the task scheduler on laptops or on some UPS models
- Added optional data filtering mode for all hardware monitoring graphs. Now it is possible to enable special math data filtering algorithm independently for each hardware monitoring graph to reject misreading spikes caused by sensor access conflicts when running multiple hardware monitoring tools at the same time
- Now it is posssible to use both core and shader clock as the primary clock when adjust the clocks in linked mode
- Fixed videomemory usage monitoring for non-primary NVIDIA graphics cards
- Application restart is no longer required to apply new user interface language
- Updated localization engine. Now floating tooltips based context help system supports macro definitions
- Localization reference guide documentation has been updated to v1.1
- Various typo fixes in different language packs
- Added Korean localization
- Startup profile is now displayed in
Guru3D Folding team enters top 70 ...
With great pride we announce that our F@H Team is now in the Top 70 Teams in the entire world. We are currently in 66th position and hopefully, within a week or so we will be in 65th position. Considering that there are over 186700 Teams in the World, this is a tremendous achievement. Also in the month of August, we have achieved 13 Million F@H points which is the highest we have achieved in 3 years.
Here is a graph from EOC to put things in perspective: Once the above graph sinks in, I extend a special thanks to our Top 20 Contributors:
|Top 20 Producers|
Now if you interested in joining our F@H Team, remember that our Team Number is 69411.
If you have GTX 400 Series GPU and want to contribute, you can read this guide as it contains all relevant information about GPU3 BETA Client.
Guru Members having Quad Core CPUs or higher, may want to look into the SMP2 BETA Client. It has been update to version 6.30 and makes installation a breeze. The entire set-up will take approximately 5 minutes. A thread containing important information is available here.
If the SMP2/GPU3 BETA Client doesn
MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK tested
We test and review the MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK with 1024MB graphics memory. The only thing left original is the actual GPU as everything else was changed. We see a custom PCB with phase LEDs, voltage monitoring points, military class components and to put some icing on the cake the new TwinFrz II heatpipe cooler that hopefully will bring good temperatures versus low noise levels.
It doesn't end there though, MSI is pre-overclocking this 1024MB HAWK model towards 780 MHz. That makes this the top dog GeForce GTX 460 on the market, interested ? Well, you can read the full review right here and now.
Zalman VF3000F VGA cooler for GTX480 - GTX470 and 465
Finally, the VF3000F is for the end users who wants to cool their latest VGA cards from NVIDIA. The Zalman
Swiftech H20-X20 Edge Series High-Performance Liquid Cooling Kit
Rouchon Industries, Inc. dba Swiftech today announced the release of the H20-X20 EDGE series of "all-in-one" liquid cooling kits. The kits are composed of a patent pending heat exchanger combining pump and reservoir, and a CPU waterblock, which considerably simplifies the task of installation for the users. The patent pending heat exchangers called MCR Drive (Rev2) come in two sizes: for dual 120mm fans and for triple 120mm fans; they incorporate a new high power pump with variable speed control managed by the motherboard. The Apogee XTL CPU water-block included in the kits is derived from Swiftech's award winning Apogee XT.
Swiftech is counting on the versatility and performance superiority of their kits 'design to attract an expanded range of users. A key factor with respect to versatility is the kit's ability to easily support additional devices such as liquid cooled graphics coolers or extra radiators which is a must-have among power users; the extremely broad performance range of the H20-X20 kits is of equal importance in terms of competitive advantage, as the kits can be tuned to satisfy both ends of the users 'spectrum: from silent operations to extreme cooling; and finally the ease of installation is expected to appeal to quality oriented first-time users.
Capitalizing on 10 years of experience in designing and manufacturing liquid cooling systems, Swiftech also turbo-charges user-support by including multiple sets of accessories to accommodate various installation strategies, and they provide one of the most comprehensive installation guides in the industry which includes dozens of fully detailed pre-built 3D models.
"While Swiftech's Ultra, Ultima and Apex series of liquid cooling kits have set the performance standard among power users for the past 5 years, the Edge series combine equal or superior performance with the new triple radiator, a broader gamut of utilizations, and most of all a stupendous ease of installation that will appeal to anyone willing to make the jump into serious liquid cooling" said Gabriel Rouchon, Swiftech's Chairman and CTA.
- H20-220 EDGE: $309.95
- H20-320 EDGE: $339.95
More information here.
NVIDIA might launch southbridge with integrated graphics
Sources told DigiTimes that NVIDIA is looking to get back into the chipset market with a new product that combines a southbridge and a GPU. According to the article, the chip will be about $10 to $15 cheaper than Intel's standard southbridge chipsets:
The makers stated that legal considerations, in terms of permission from Intel for Nvidia to participate in the chipset business, should be made smoother by the recent lawsuit the US Fair Trade Commission (FTC) took up with Intel. However, Intel is not expected to start any such negotiations with Nvidia in the near future, the sources speculated.
Therefore, Nvidia is developing the new chipset to bypass Intel's new Sandy Bridge architecture, which combines CPU and northbridge chipsets. Nvidia's expected business model would be for motherboard makers to purchase Intel's Sandy Bridge solution without the southbridge solution (Cougar Point). This would save the makers US$10-15, and that money could be applied to purchasing Nvidia's combo solution, though the sources did not comment on any Nvidia pricing..
PNY launches RMA promotion for BFG Tech customers
Got a malfunctioning graphics card from BFG Tech? PNY announced a new promotion that may help you out a bit by offering a 25% discount, quite clever really:
Three Big Announcements Coming from Valve
In the latest issue of PC Gamer UK, Valve boss Gabe Newell has promised at least three big surprises over the next coming 12 months.
'I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do. That isn't going to stop any time soon. I'm just laughing because
MSI 870 Fuzion Power Edition motherboard
Do you think that AMD users need another one Fusion motherboard? Well, people at MSI apparently think it does. So, MSI today unveiled their second upcoming implementation for AMD systems and AM3 sockets, called 870 Fuzion Power Edition. The mainboard comes in the innovative Military Class design which features the highest quality components in the industry. Just like military products, these top quality components have incredible long lifetime, stability, low temperature and also improve overclocking potential.
Featuring Hydra from LucidLogix with support to SLI and CrossFireX, it has maximum CPU support of a six-core Phenom II series, DDR3 memory 800/1066/1333/1600*/1800*/2000*(OC), two PCI-Express 16, six SATA 6.0 Gbps ports, LAN and Gigabit Ethernet, 7.1 channel audio and all the common Power, Reset and Clear CMOS button.
The motherboard is available for pre-order at a reasonable price of
OCZ RevoDrive 120GB review
OCZ RevoDrive 120GB gets tested
We test the OCZ RevoDrive. Pretty much two SSDs slapped onto a PCB, armed with a RAID controller. Pop it in, install the new storage unit and you'll have tremendous performance right of the shelves without the need to configure anything. What OCZ did was done right.
They smacked 120GB or alternatively 240 GB of the fastest NAND Flash memory on the PCB, armed that Flash memory with two separate 8-channel SandForce SSD ICs, then bind them to a SIS RAID controller, pop on a PCie x4 bridge and then offer a "PCIe SSD" (if you can call it that) reaching 300,k 400 even 500 MB/sec read and write speeds.
Check out the full review right here.
MSI GTX 460 HAWK released soon
We see a custom PCB with phase LEDs, voltage monitoring points, military class components and to put some icing on the cake ... the new TwinFrz II heatpipe cooler that will hopefully bring good temperatures versus low noise levels. It doesn't end there though, MSI is pre-overclocking this 1024MB HAWK model towards 780 MHz. And then there's the overclock potential ... a new voltage regulation circuitry was embedded, allowing not only to play and tweak around with GPU voltages, nope ... they added voltage control for the memory and Auxilary/PLL voltage as well.
Tomorrow the full review.
EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard outted
EVGA has launched a new X58 motherboard, the X58 SLI3 that obviously comes with triple SLI support. Next to that new generation features have been added as well astwo USB 3.0 ports and two SATA 6Gbps connectors can be spotted also. The motherboard will be available soon for $199.99.
EVGA is proud to announce the new EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard! The EVGA X58 SLI3 took the EVGA X58 LE, improved the design and amped up the features! With the addition of USB 3.0 and SATA 3/6G, this motherboard becomes a great value for the future and allows compatibility with all the newest high speed peripherals. Have it all with the EVGA X58 SLI3: performance, features, value!
The two USB 3.0 ports allow for speeds up to 5Gb/s, more than 10x the performance of USB 2.0! SATA 6G allows double the performance of SATA 3G, and of course the award winning EVGA overclocking features put this motherboard in a class of its own. In fact, EVGA X58 motherboards have won over 20 awards from leading hardware review sites.
Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus VGA cooler released
Arctic Cooling send out a press-release announcing the biggest VGA cooler I have ever seen, the Accelero Xtreme Plus, a new VGA cooled with a copper base, five heatpipes and a huge aluminium heatsink with three 92mm fans. The cooler is compatible with most recent high-end graphics cards, including the GeForce GTX 400 and Radeon HD 5000 series. The heatsink measures 290mm x 104mm x 56mm (L x W x H) and weighs 622g, and small heatsinks for the memory chips and VRM are also included in the package. The Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus should be available in retail stores for around $65.95 (54.95EUR).
The main heatsink is designed to handle thermal loads of up to 250W. The cooler is also compatible with the mounting plates of older some Accelero models that give it compatibility with other popular GPUs, importantly support for Radeon HD 5000 and GeForce 9/GTS 200 series with the VR001 mounting kit.
The main heatsink consists of a copper-made GPU contact base from which five heat pipes convey heat to two blocks of aluminum fins that are cooled by three 92 mm fans. A patented cooler shroud design works to dampen noise generated by the three fans. The three fans spin at speeds between 800 and 2,000 rpm. The heatsink measures 290 L x 104 W x 56 H mm, weighing 622 g. Click the thumbnail.