GeForce GTS 450 surfaces in stores
The GeForce GTS 450 is spotted in etail one week earlier than expected; therefore, Radeon HD 5770 has a new opponent to challenge with. As it turns out, the graphics card is already available in Europe, found at a German store, about
ATI might rename Radeon 5570 to 6770
According to the German ATI Forum the upcoming dual-GPU Radeon HD 6970 has reportedly been rebranded to Radeon HD 6990, so the Radeon HD 6870 (Cayman XT) can take the Radeon HD 6970 name. Moreover, the new Radeon HD 6870 will the Radeon HD 6770 (Barts XT), which seems in-line with AMD's plans to beef up the performance of mid-range graphics cards to make them more attractive over APUs.
|HD 6970 (Antilles)||HD6990|
|HD 6870 (Cayman XT)||HD6970|
|HD 6770 (Barts XT)||HD6870|
|HD 5770 (Juniper XT)||HD6770|
Well, we'll see ...
eVGA Classified SR-2 review with Quad SLI GTX 480 on LN2
eVGA Classified SR-2 review with Quad SLI GTX 480 on LN2
We test and review the eVGA Classified SR-2 motherboard. The SR-2 is a dual-socket Intel 5520 chipset based server motherboard dressed up for hardware enthusiasts and pro-overclockers. We'll smack two six-core Xeon X5680 processors on there, four GeForce GTX 480 cards, we'll cool them all with Liquid Nitrogen, overclock it... and see if we can break some records.
We'll first cover a technical overview of the board and then hand it out to Beaux aka 'BODAR' Loy, we'll test a setup in three stages:
- Air cooling
- Liquid cooling
- Liquid Nitrogen
In the end the processors are going to be cooled with liquid nitrogen, and for the sake of it we will pop in four GeForce GTX 480 graphics cards as well, these will also be cooled with liquid nitrogen. That's six Liquid Nitrogen pots on one motherboard... consuming 40 to 50 liters of liquid nitrogen with each hour of testing.
An awesome article with some high-def video footage as well, go check it out right here.
CoolerMaster releases HAF 912
Cooler Master today launches the HAF 912, we've had a sample on hand fgor a week already, yet have not ahd the time to test it just yet but expect a review soon. Cooler Master
Samsung Galaxy Tab should cost below $300 with US carriers
Samsung in an update on the Galaxy Tab said the tablet's price would be below Apple's iPad when attached to a carrier. Although the full price may be significantly more expensive than the iPad -- $900or more -- executive Hankil Yoon told the WSJ that the price would be no higher than $300 but likely above $200. Discussions are underway with US carriers, but Yoon wouldn't say which and expected the price to vary.
Previously, Germany was slated to be first with the Galaxy Tab with a launch in the middle of this month. Italy is part of the next wave, and many of Vodafone's European branches will have the Android hardware in October. Leaks have had a Verizon model coming, and one as yet unconfirmed rumor has a Sprint model with 4G coming in November.
The emphasis on carrier discounts is likely to be a calculated but risky strategy for Samsung. While it would superficially lower the cost of the Galaxy Tab to half that of a 3G iPad, which costs $629, the discount would likely require a contract locking users into two years of data whether they needed or not. On Verizon, a plan with a small 250MB per month would cost $40 per month, or $960 over two years. iPad owners pay more initially but only have to use service for a month at a time and can pay as little as $15.
Samsung is counting primarily on the more portable form factor, as well as front and back cameras, to sell shoppers on its tablet. Apple's feature set is more stripped down, but launched months earlier and is better for video and the web with a larger screen.
Dungeon Siege III Trailer
nVIDIA unveils mobile GeForce 400M Series
The nVIDIA mobile and Fermi based family goes bigger and bigger. Latest news maintain the fact that the well-known company - nVIDIA is planning to unleash their GeForce 400M series babies to conquer and dominate over your mobile 3D graphics lapt-world. So now without any further ado, let me introduce you to them: GTX 470M, GTX 460M, GT 445M, GT 425M, GT 420M and finally GT 415M
nVIDIA outs low-end GeForce GT420
NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 GPU is the new low-end solution for internet and office users who choose to live a tranquil life without the disturbing noises of the fans. This pretty much means that you have to say
Scythe Ninja 3 review
Scythe Ninja 3 CPU cooler review
Guru3D tests and reviews the Scythe Ninja 3 CPU cooler. The new organization of the aluminum fins allows, in cooperation with the eight U-shaped copper heatpipes marketed as M.A.P.S. (Multiple Airflow pass-through structure) guarantees high performance. This will get more clear in the photo-shoot though. According to Scythe is that translates into 7 per cent more heat removal compared to a cooler like the previous Ninja. The cooler is equipped with a 120mm-ventilator that can be regulated with the help of an included fan-controller in RPM from 470 to 1900 RPM with noise levels varying from 7 to 37dBA depending on your preference.
You can find out all about it right here at this URL.
GlobalFoundries Shows AMD Llano and Orochi 8-Core
GlobalFoundries offers a little preview at one of the upcoming Fusion processors from AMD, the Orochi based on the Bulldozer architecture as Softpedia reports.
Bobcat's firstborn will be the 40nmOntario mobile chip and comes with embedded DirectX 11 graphics. is intended for desktops and servers with Orochi being one of the flagship chips.
No real information was provided on this 8-core product besides that it will be the second 32nm-based product and will be built immediately after the Llano. The Orochi will feature a set of 4 Bulldozer modules, which provide 8 cores and 8 threads, and will probably have an AM3+ package with an integrated DDR3 memory controller.
On the other hand, the individual L2 caches will be of 1MB and will support dual-channel DDR3 and will, of course, have its own built-in graphics with support for DirectX 11.The APU should also feature an integrated northbridge, integrated PCI Express root complex, a HyperTransport interface to the chipset and an integrated SIMD array with 480 stream processors.
The Llano will have to compete with the Sandy Bridge processors from Intel, which also have integrated graphics and will feature better performance than the current Core series [via Softpedia / PCPer].
Click the thumbnails.
AMD Radeon HD 6800 series might launch in 2011?
A Polish tech site PCLab claims an AMD employee leaked information about the launch dates of upcoming Radeon HD 6000 series graphics cards. The site claims the Radeon HD 6000 series will be more than a minor refresh, and that the card will be more power efficient and be faster clock-for-clock than the current generation.
AMD will reportedly first release entry-level and mainstream Radeon HD 6000 graphics cards sometime in the fourth quarter of this year, but where it gets a little bit weird is that the dual-GPU Radeon HD 6970 will allegedly arrive first by Christmas 2010, with the Radeon HD 6800 cards to follow in early 2011.
Widespread rumours suggest that the first release is indeed a mainstream card - the Radeon HD 6700 series - on October 13th 2010. However, the schedules of the other HD 6800 and HD 6970 come as a surprise, especially the dual-GPU HD 6970 releasing before the HD 6800 series. Of course, the HD 6970 being a dual-GPU HD 6770 is also a possibility. The other cards in the family - HD 6500/6600/etc., are not mentioned explicitly, though it is implied they might release before the HD 6800 series.
Creative debuts two Sound Blaster Tactic 3D gaming headsets
Creative presents two new gaming headsets with THX TruStudio Pro technology.
Creative, a worldwide leader in digital entertainment products, today announced the new line of Tactic 3D
PS3 Jailbreak Code loose on the web
Note: With the release of PSGroove opensource PS JailBreak exploit for PS3, many are having trouble sourcing the required Teensy++, AT90USBKEY2 or AT90USB162 boards. That said, today PS3JailBreak.com has shared schematics for the Teensy so that users can build their own if they wish [via ggmania].
GPU-Z 0.4.6 Download
GPU-Z is a lightweight utility designed to give you all information about your video card and GPU.
Changes in version 0.4.6:
- Added MSI hardware giveaway
- Fixed temperature readings getting stuck on ADT7473 sensor (GTX 400 cards)
- Fixed broken BIOS reading on all cards
- General improvements to Intel support, still far from perfect
- Added support for ATI FirePro V8750
- Added support for GeForce GTS 455, GTS 450, GT 440, GT 430, GT 420, GT 330, GT218 based ION, GTX 470M, GTX 460M, GT 445M, GT 435M, GT 425M, GT 420M, GT 415M, GeForce 310M
- Added basic detection for AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
- Improved handling for unknown NVIDIA cards
- Added fan RPM monitoring for NVIDIA cards
Afterburner 2.0.0 Final download
Afterburner is world first utility to support over-voltage of GeForce GTX 480/470/465, it also implement screen capture function for DX10 and DX11 games and monitor history function. Also, built-in benchmark Kombustor has a lot of improvement. MSI encourage all graphics card users to try it, even you don't have a MSI graphics card. (but they highly recommend you to buy one!)
We announce new version 2.0.0 of highly-acclaimed MSI Afterburner. The most important function of Afterburner 2.0.0 is "Triple over-voltage" and you can start to use it on our hot-selling N460GTX Hawk that also is announced and reviewed here today.
We plan to announce our next major Afterburner revision in coming month, we can assure you the best will be EVEN BETTER in next version! Stay tuned!
- Voltage control layer has been seriously revamped to give additional freedom to extreme overclockers with new custom design MSI graphics cards. Now MSI Afterburner is able to control up to 3 voltages on custom design MSI Fermi and other future custom design MSI graphics cards. New adjustable voltages include memory voltage and special multi-purpose auxiliary voltage feeding either memory bus (also known as VDDCI on AMD graphics cards) or PCIE bus and crystal (PEXVDD on NVIDIA graphics cards)
- Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N480GTX Lighning series graphics cards with uP6225+uP6262 voltage regulators
- Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II OV3 series graphics cards with uP6218+uP6262 voltage regulators
- Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N460GTX Hawk series graphics cards with uP6262 voltage regulators
- Added core voltage control for custom design MSI N460GTX Cyclone series graphics cards
- Added auxiliary VDDCI voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON HD 5870 series graphics cards
- Added fan tachometer monitoring for NVIDIA graphics cards. Please take a note that not all graphics cards are tachometer reading capable. So depending on graphics card and cooling system fan tachometer monitoring can be unavailable
- Optimized NVIDIA driver-level clock frequency monitoring codepath
- Minimum clock limits for all graphics cards have been reduced from 75% to 50%
- Dynamic overclocking, voltage and fan speed limits. MSI Afterburner no longer uses static slider limits calibration and adjusts the limits dynamically when some external factors affect it (e.g. Overdrive clock limits on AMD cards or VGA BIOS fan speed and voltage limits on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 cards)
- New temperature hysteresis settings for software automatic fan control mode gives you additional way to improve cooling system thermal and acoustic parameters
- Now fan speed limits (i.e. minimum and maximum fan speeds accepted by VGA BIOS and display driver) are displayed in custom fan speed curve editor window
- Built-in skin sizes have been reduced due to optimized internal skin panels representation and optimized compiled bitmap cache
- Optional skin compression ability in the built-in skin compiler. Skin format reference documentation has been updated to document new compression options
- Minor built-in skins appearance tweaks
- Now MSI Afterburner uses previously undocumented power user oriented startup mode via the task scheduler under Windows Vista / Windows 7. MSI Afterburner launch no longer requires UAC confirmation at Windows startup. Please take a note that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 runtime libraries must be installed to get new startup mode working
- Now MSI Afterburner automatically fixes startup link if
or is enabled but the registry or task scheduler startup entry is missing
- Startup profile is now displayed in
option floating tooltip instead of the main window
- Now power users can enable optional DirectInput based hotkeys handler via the configuration file. DirectInput based hotkeys processing can seriously reduces hotkey response time in the applications heavily loading CPU (mostly 3D games) and leaving not enough time for processing standard keyboard input message queues. Please take a note that enabling such sophisticated hotkeys handling mode can cause some system security applications (e.g. pro-active application behavior analysis module of KIS) to warn you about possible keylogging threat
- Improved skin engine, now skinned controls support horizontal and/or vertical centering. Skin format reference guide has been updated to document these new alignment modes
- MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.7.2. New version gives you the following improvements:
- Now screen capture events are identified visually by text message flashing in On-Screen Display during 0.25s
- Built-in skin sizes have been reduced due to optimized compiled bitmap cache
- Added On-Screen Display profile for Startcraft II : Wings of Liberty
- Added configuration file switch allowing sending MSI Afterburner to system tray instead of closing on
button click option is no longer set in the startup task settings to allow automatically starting application via the task scheduler on laptops or on some UPS models
- Added optional data filtering mode for all hardware monitoring graphs. Now it is possible to enable special math data filtering algorithm independently for each hardware monitoring graph to reject misreading spikes caused by sensor access conflicts when running multiple hardware monitoring tools at the same time
- Now it is posssible to use both core and shader clock as the primary clock when adjust the clocks in linked mode
- Fixed videomemory usage monitoring for non-primary NVIDIA graphics cards
- Application restart is no longer required to apply new user interface language
- Updated localization engine. Now floating tooltips based context help system supports macro definitions
- Localization reference guide documentation has been updated to v1.1
- Various typo fixes in different language packs
- Added Korean localization
- Startup profile is now displayed in
Guru3D Folding team enters top 70 ...
With great pride we announce that our F@H Team is now in the Top 70 Teams in the entire world. We are currently in 66th position and hopefully, within a week or so we will be in 65th position. Considering that there are over 186700 Teams in the World, this is a tremendous achievement. Also in the month of August, we have achieved 13 Million F@H points which is the highest we have achieved in 3 years.
Here is a graph from EOC to put things in perspective: Once the above graph sinks in, I extend a special thanks to our Top 20 Contributors:
|Top 20 Producers|
Now if you interested in joining our F@H Team, remember that our Team Number is 69411.
If you have GTX 400 Series GPU and want to contribute, you can read this guide as it contains all relevant information about GPU3 BETA Client.
Guru Members having Quad Core CPUs or higher, may want to look into the SMP2 BETA Client. It has been update to version 6.30 and makes installation a breeze. The entire set-up will take approximately 5 minutes. A thread containing important information is available here.
If the SMP2/GPU3 BETA Client doesn
MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK tested
We test and review the MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK with 1024MB graphics memory. The only thing left original is the actual GPU as everything else was changed. We see a custom PCB with phase LEDs, voltage monitoring points, military class components and to put some icing on the cake the new TwinFrz II heatpipe cooler that hopefully will bring good temperatures versus low noise levels.
It doesn't end there though, MSI is pre-overclocking this 1024MB HAWK model towards 780 MHz. That makes this the top dog GeForce GTX 460 on the market, interested ? Well, you can read the full review right here and now.
Zalman VF3000F VGA cooler for GTX480 - GTX470 and 465
Finally, the VF3000F is for the end users who wants to cool their latest VGA cards from NVIDIA. The Zalman