Intel worries about GPU viruses
Intel is studying all the possibilities to ensure security with Larrabee, as the chip giant is worried that hackers may be able to create the first GPU viruses. X-bit Labs reports sooner or later hackers will find ways to executive malicious programs on GPUs:
General purpose computing on graphics processing units (GPGPU) is a highly-discussed topic these days. Thanks to multi-core architecture, GPUs can process multi-threaded tasks much more rapidly than central processing units. But while GPGPU technologies provide a number of benefits, they can also harm in case GPUs execute malicious code. Intel Corp. believes that GPU viruses are about to emerge and is taking steps to ensure that its forthcoming Larrabee is secure enough.
Radeon HD 5750 and 5770 specifications leaked
The ATI Radeon HD 5770 is expected to be released on October 13th for $159. This DX11 card features 800 stream processors, a 850MHz core, 1GB GDDR5 memory at 4.8GHz, 1.36 teraFLOPS computing power, 128-bit memory bus, 76.8GB/s memory bandwidth, 18W idle power consumption and 108W load power consumption.
The ATI Radeon HD 5750 will be launched on the same day, this model will be available in with 512MB GDDR5 for $109 and with 1GB GDDR5 for $129. It has 720 stream processors, 700MHz core, 4.6GHz memory, 1.008 teraFLOPS computing power, 128-bit memory bus, 73.6GB/s memory bandwidth, 16W idle power consumption and 86W load power consumption.
TDK Develops 320 GB Optical Disc
At Japan's largest annual IT trade show CEATEC (Combined Exhibition of Advanced Technologies) that's taking place from October 6 - 10 this year, TDK presented a 10-layer optical disc with a storage capacity of 320 GB.
"As the number of recording layers increases, signals on each layer weaken, making it necessary to improve the transmittance. This time, the company enhanced the transmittance by readjusting the composition of used materials, it said. The transmittance of the outermost layer, which requires the highest transmittance, is more than 90%, while that of the disc prototyped in 2006 was 80 to 90%.
The symbol error rate of the new optical disc is less than 10-4, which the company considers as the threshold of commercial viability. When data is being written on the disc, the output of the laser is less than 30mW, which is the maximum output of commercially available blue-violet lasers, on a film surface of each layer, TDK said."
Nuclear Battery The Size of a Penny
This news story has a bit of a scary ring to it, but University of Missouri researchers are developing a nuclear battery that is not only the size of a penny, but "can provide power density that is six orders of magnitude higher than chemical batteries."
"To provide enough power, we need certain methods with high energy density," said Jae Kwon, assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering at MU.
Kwon and his research team have been working on building a small nuclear battery, currently the size and thickness of a penny, intended to power various micro/nanoelectromechanical systems (M/NEMS). Although nuclear batteries can pose concerns, Kwon said they are safe.
"People hear the word
Sony X Series Lightweight Laptop Launched
Sony just released what they claim to be the lightest notebook around - "based on 10" and above notebook class as of 09/2009. Configuration includes standard capacity battery and built-in mobile broadband module."
The X series laptop comes with a 11.1'' screen, supports a 1366 x 768 resolution, weighs 1.5 - 1.6 lbs. (with the standard battery), and measures 10.95" (W) x 0.55" (H) x 7.29" (D).
Besides that, it features:
- 2GHz Intel Atom Processor
- 533Mhz Front Side Bus Speed
- up to 128GB Solid State Drive
- 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
- Estimated Battery Life with Standard Battery (included, default settings: up to 3.5 hours, max. brightness: up to 2.5 hours)
- Estimated Battery Life with Extended Battery (included, default Settings: up to 14 hours, max. brightness: up to 12 hours)
- Power Requirements: 38 watts or less
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500
- Intel System Controller Hub US15W Chipset
- Intel High Definition Audio
- Built-in MOTION EYE camera and microphone
- Electro-Static touch pad
- QWERTY keyboard, 82 kyes with 1.2mm stroke and 17mm pitch
- Fast Ethernet (RJ-45) Protocol
- WiFi Atheros 802.11b/g/n
- Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband Built-In
- Integrated Stereo A2DP Bluetooth technology
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
All this goodness can be yours, in case you're willing to spend at least $1,299.99 USD for the black standard edition with a 64 GB SSD or $1,499.99 USD for the gold signature edition with a 128 GB SSD.
MSI GeForce GT 220 1 GB OC Pixelized
NVIDAI is set to release it's first consumer 40nm product next week, tagged under GT220. It is a sub 100 USD DX 10.1 low-budget offering. MSI is releasing a factory-overclocked graphics card based on the GT220 called the MSI N220GT-MD1G-OC.
The GPU houses 48 shader processors, 1 GB of GDDR3 memory across a 128-bit wide interface, and comes with DVI-D, D-Sub. No external power connectors already reveal that it has a low power design. The card draws all its power from the PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slot. We expect the product tor etail at roughly 75 EUR.
Gigabyte Radeon HD 5770 gets pixelized
A photo on the upcoming Radeon HD 5770 cards from Gigabyte. This card should be available next week for under 150EUR.
Gigabyte's HD 5770 is listed in an Australian shop. The price is tagged at AUD 262.90 which is roughly
PowerColor to ship Radeon HD 5870 cards with EK watercooling block
PowerColor announced it will ship Radeon HD 5870 graphics cards with a liquid cooling solution from EK.
The partnership brings a liquid cooling solution to the most powerful single GPU on the market today, the HD5870 series. EK cooling offers exceptional thermal performance and enhances gaming performance in a cool and stable operating environment.
The Liquid Cooling Solution (LCS) can completely dispel excessive heat within an airtight environment, enabling the heat to be dissipated in a quiet setting. The cooperation with EK allows PowerColor to bring another attractive option to the HD5870 series. This soon to be part of the Liquid Cooling Solution (LCS) product lineup, with full water block mounting on the card, helps deliver the perfect heat dissipation in a silent setting; allowing a perfect user experience like never before.
"PowerColor always tries to bring gamers a superior and out-of-box gaming experience,
Assassin's Creed 2 Clip
A new video was launched by way of Ubisoft for Assassin's Creed 2 introduces us to Ezio
Gigabyte Odin PLUS 700W PSU review
We'll have a look at Gigabyte's Odin series of power supplies. An updated version, the new PLUS model. Being Guru3D we did opt the higher wattage model. It's called the Odin Plus 700 Watt power supply. A fairly standard power supply, yet with some extra horsepower, should you need it. Advertised as a SLI ready and certified product that comes with a 80+ Bronze certification for it's efficiency. What's special is that Gigabyte designed their own board layout, four 12 volts rails, uses solid capacitors to market it in their ultra durable product segment and as such hope to bring you a nice and long lasting product.
You can read this article right here.
Xfire Launches Steam Competitor
The market for online game stores is booming. Sales figures from Steam and Direct2Drive prove this beyond a doubt. Therefore, it doesn't really surprise that others are trying to enter that market as well. The latest competitor to enter the arena is the Xfire game store.
Founded in 2002 by Dennis Fong, Max Woon, David Lawee, and Mike Cassidy Xfire started as a free IM service and game server browser for gamers around the world and currently has more than 14 million registered users.
"Xfire is a free application that combines multiple gaming tools into one powerful tool to alleviate the need to run multiple different gaming related programs. For instance, Xfire allows you to chat with your friends, see what games they are playing, what servers they are playing on and join them instantly with one click. Xfire also allows you to show off your gaming skills by capturing screenshots and videos and uploading them to your Profile page on the Xfire website."
Here is how it works:Buy your game and get a personal license
- Buy your games online in complete security (128 bit SSL encryption)
- Get your personal download links and activation codes via e-mail
- Get links and codes for all your games at any time from your account
- Download your game as many times as you need to
- Of course, you can always save a backup of your game onto a DVD or a hard drive
- You can uninstall and re-install your game on the same PC as many times as you may need to.
- You can automatically activate your game on any number of PCs within reason.
- The number of automatic activations varies between games depending on the game publisher's DRM policies. If you reach this number, it can easily be reset by our customer support
- A license system that is both modern and legal
- The ease of playing your game without a CD or DVD in your drive
- The security of being able to re-download and re-install the game any time you want
- Fast and free delivery
- Customer support available 7 days a week to help with any queries (email@example.com)
25 Million USD for Left 4 Dead 2 Ad Campaign
While for some game developers $25 million USD is the budget for the whole game, Valve plans to spend this sum "just" for its advertising campaign for Left 4 Dead 2 alone.
Aggressive use of TV commercials, online and print ads are a few examples which you can expect to see in the upcoming months. While the marketing for the first Left 4 Dead title cost about $10 million USD, Valve more than doubles it for the second installment and expects it to be the fastest-selling product in Valve's history:
"Based on the strength of pre-orders, Left 4 Dead 2 will be the fastest-selling product in Valve's history," commented Valve president Gabe Newell. "Left 4 Dead 2 has consistently run at 300 per cent of Left 4 Dead's numbers."
"The game has already set a record for the greatest number of pre-orders in the company's history, marketing vice president Doug Lombardi added, who pointed out the game still has one month to go before it ships."
Intel researchers working on self tuning CPU
By using some of die space, Intel's engineers are able to do way with some of the methods used today in processor binning. Intel will still choose the best silicon for more expensive processors but it can now do so without that incurring a power and frequency penalty due to the safety margins required. The processor will also automatically adjust itself when the user provides better cooling to the system, readjusting itself as needed when temperatures get warmer during the summer, without any need of user intervention.
EA Launches Six More Titles on Steam
Electronic Arts today released six more titles on the distribution platform, including DICE's classic multiplayer shooter Battlefield 2. Sadly, there's no discount to celebrate the new arrivals, which Steam is known to do from time to time. The new additions are:
- Battlefield 2: Complete Collection - $29.99
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising - $19.99
- The Godfather - $9.99
- The Godfather 2 - $39.99
- Medal of Honor: Airborne - $9.99
- Need for Speed: Shift - $49.99
Mimo Mini USB Monitor
You're looking for a small and lightweight additional screen for your laptop while on the road? You can't afford to buy the new graphic card from ATI that offers Eyefinity and already have two full size monitors in use but still would like to have a separate screen for your IM app?
Then this 7 inch USB monitor from Mimo might be the right thing for you. It's powered through a simple USB connection which it also serves as the display cable. It weighs only 1.3 pounds, has a resolution of 800 x 400, and currently comes in four different models: the iMo Pivot, the 710-S, the 720-S Touch, and the 740 Touch.
Other product features include:
- Small monitor runs completely off of USB, giving you an extra mini display whenever and wherever you need it.
- No extra power needed. The Mimo monitor is powered by USB.
- No extra video card. The Mimo has a built in video card that runs over any USB 2.0 connection.
- Rotating Portrait or Landscape view. Go vertical for notes and spreadsheets, horizontal to watch a movie.
- Great for laptop use. The Mimo stores easily in your bag and is ready to go simply by plugging it in
- 740 Model offers touchscreen abilities for control with a finger or stylus
- Mac and Windows driver support (intel Mac only). Additional drivers required for touchscreen use of the 740 monitor on Mac OS.
- Display size - 7"
- Display resolution - 800 x 480
- Brightness - 350 cd/m2
- Contrast ratio - 400:1
- Connections - USB 2.0
Prices range from $129.99 for the iMo Pivot up to $229.99 for the 720-S Slider Touch.
Corsair TX950W PSU launches
Corsair is well known in the computer enthusiast community for its line of RAM and SSDs. The company also makes a full line of flash drives and power supplies for computers as well. Today Corsair has announced a new PSU in its TX-series called the TX950W.
As you might guess from the product name, the PSU has 950 watts of power and it is guaranteed to sustain its full rated wattage at ambient temperatures of 50C. The PSU promises to be up to 85% energy efficient under real-world load conditions. A large single +12V rail provides up to 78A.
The PSU is also multiple GPU ready and uses 105C solid-state capacitors. Other features of the PSU include active PFC with a PF value of 0.99. Corsair supports ATX 12V 2.3 and EPS12V 2.91 standards and the PSU is backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01 as well. The PSU is available for purchase now online.
EVGA Precision v1.8.1
This program allows you to fine tune your GeForce graphics card for the maximum performance possible, with Core/Shader/Memory clock tuning, real time monitoring support including in-game, Logitech Keyboard LCD Display support, and compatibility with almost all EVGA (and other) graphics cards.
EVGA Precision v1.8.1 (10-06-2009)
- Added NVIDIA GeForce G210, GT220 and GT240 series graphics cards support.
- EVGA On-Screen Display Server has been updated to version 3.5.0. Floating injection address hooking technology, which has been introduced in the previous version, is now disabled by default and can be enabled via the "Stealth mode" option in the server's properties.
- Added hotkeys cross-links checking, Precision no longer allows defining the same hotkey for two different actions at the same time.
- Added "Browse" button to "Screen capture" tab to allow users to change target folder for screenshots.
- Added inegration with external overclocking stability testing applications.
NVIDIA nForce 15.51 WHQL Windows 7 and Vista
Download nForce 15.51 WHQL Windows 7 and Vista 32-bit. Nvidia released a new nforce driver ver 15.51 whql for Windows Vista and Windows 7.
nForce 7 series:
790i Ultra SLI, 780i SLI, 790i SLI, 750i SLI.
nForce 6 series:
680a SLI, 680i LT SLI, 650i Ultra, 680i SLI, 650i SLI.
nForce 5 series:
570 SLI AMD, 550, 590 SLI Intel, 590 SLI AMD, 570 SLI Intel, 570 Ultra AMD, 560.
- Ethernet Driver (v73.14) WHQL
- Network Management Tools (v73.16) "Sedona"
- SATA IDE Driver (v188.8.131.52) WHQL
- SATA RAID Driver (v184.108.40.206) WHQL
- RAIDTOOL Application (v220.127.116.11)
- SMBUS Driver (v4.74) WHQL
- SMU Driver (v1.71) WHQL
- Installer (v7.57)
- Audio Driver (v1.00.00.59)