Does the GeForce GTX 970 have a memory allocation bug ? (update 3)
For a week or two now in our forums there have been allegations that users of the GeForce GTX 970 have a darn hard time addressing and filling the last 10% of their graphics memory. The 4 GB card seems to run into issues addressing the last 400 to 600 MB of memory, which is significant.Read more
OCZ Vertex and Agility Garbage Collection works really well
Earlier last week OCZ released a new series of firmware for their SSD drives with Indilinx based controller. With the new firmware the entire line-up of Vertex and Agility Series SSDs can perform active garbage collection while the drives are idle to restore performance to like-new condition, even on a very segmented (slower) drive.
Typically, a used SSD will be slower and will have it's top sequential write speed drop to less than half of what it was originally and sequential reads can also take a considerable hit. It will still kick an HDD's as but would be slower then when you bought it.
The new firmware can restore the drive to it's "as new" state in about half an hour, which is an excellent result.
I decided to test this with an OCZ Agility SSD we use in one of our primary test PCs; the results are pretty sweet alright.
Before Garbage collection - take a good look at the write performance.
After 15 minutes Garbage collection - now observe that write performance is nearly close to maximum again.
We've been using this Agility drive in our primary test system for a while now. it has Windows 7 installed on it yet as you can see, wasn't fully fragmented just yet. However even with 15 minutes of garbage collection there's a very noticeable performance increase.
Nice job OCZ. OCZ new garbage collecting firmware's add a LOT more value to what were extremely good SSDs.
Firmware's and info can be found here.
Logitech launches G110 gaming keyboard
Intel to Launch budget X25 SSD
Intel is said to announce a value X25-X series SSDs to meet somewhat mainstream demand with an affordable price.
The 2.5-inch X25-X still features 34nm MLC NAND memory comes in a small 40GB volume. Performance should be up to 170MB/s of read and up to 35MB/s in write performance. While current X25-M series are available in 80/16GB with read/write speeds of 250MB/s and 170MB/s.
X25-X needs 90mW of power when it runs and 75 mW when it sits in idle mode. The new SSD is expected to launch before Christmas below $100 and there's no word on the fact whether or not this is a cached SSD.
Sound a bit underwhelming if you ask me ...
Thecus Unveils N7700PRO, 10 GbE SMB NAS
Need some storage ? Thecus is launching the N7700PRO, the follow up to the award winning N7700. While the original N7700 made its mark by being the world
Aliens vs Predator - Alien Reveal Clip
We've already had the Marine 'reveal' trailer, and today's the turn of the Alien one in SEGA's upcoming Aliens Vs Predator. Even if each is about six, that turns out to be an 18 hour game which would be sweet. Rebellion's Mexican standoff shooter is scheduled for release on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the first quarter of 2010.
The game is going to be a DX11 title as well, we saw some pretty impressive tesselation going on at a recent ATI brieving.
Cooler Master Storm goes black
Cooler Master has introduced a new Sniper Black Edition case, this special edition of the Storm case features an all-black interior coating, support for 2.5" solid state disks and up to three 200mm fans that each deliver a massive airflow of 142CFM. The new and improved Sniper Black Edition includes all the features and functionality of the original Sniper, and raises the bar by including an all-black interior coating, full 2.5
Fraps 2.9.99 released
Fraps is a universal Windows application that can be used with all games using DirectX or OpenGL technology to record movies in-game or measure it's framerate.
- Requires DirectX 9.0c or DirectX 10
- Requires Administrator rights
- Supports all modern CPU's (Pentium 3 and above)
- Captures fastest with an NVIDIA GeForce or ATI Radeon graphics card
- Benchmarking Software - Show how many Frames Per Second (FPS) you are getting in a corner of your screen. Perform custom benchmarks and measure the frame rate between any two points. Save the statistics out to disk and use them for your own reviews and applications.
- Screen Capture Software - Take a screenshot with the press of a key! There's no need to paste into a paint program every time you want a new shot. Your screen captures are automatically named and timestamped
- Realtime Video Capture Software - Have you ever wanted to record video while playing your favourite game? Come join the Machinima revolution! Throw away the VCR, forget about using a DV cam, game recording has never been this easy! Fraps can capture audio and video up to 2560x1600 on dual-core CPUs (1152x864 single-core) at up to 100 frames per second!
2.9.99 - 16th Oct 2009
- Fixed flickering video capture in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
- Fixed 30-bit color captures in Eve Online
- Fixed mouse cursor not being recorded in Conquer Online
- Other minor bug fixes
Download - click here.
Realtek HD Audio 2.35 Driver
The latest download of Realtek's HD audio driver version available for Windows XP and Vista, it runs under Windows 7 too.
The HD audio driver version for Realtek chips is available for download on our server. This download offers both the Windows XP and Vista binaries, the files contain drivers for the 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions. All Realtek HD audio chips, which are common on many motherboards and in notebooks, are supported.
History Driver Package R2.35
Realtek HD Audio Driver support all of Realtek HD Audio Codec .
- Vista/Windows 7 WHQL Supporting: ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC888, ALC889, ALC861VD, ALC660, ALC662, ALC663, ALC665, ALC260, ALC262,ALC267, ALC268, ALC269, ALC270, ALC272, ALC273, ALC887,ALC670, ALC275
- Windows 2000/XP WHQL Supporting: ALC880, ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC888, ALC889, ALC861VC, ALC861VD, ALC660, ALC662, ALC663, ALC665, ALC260, ALC262, ALC267,ALC268, ALC269, ALC270, ALC272, ALC273, ALC887,ALC670, ALC275
- HDMI Device WHQL Support: ATI HDMI Devices
- OS Supporting: Microsoft WindowsXP, Widnows2000, Windows Server 2003, Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows7 - x86/x64
- Pack with Microsoft High Definition Audio UAAV1.0a(5013)
1.) Driver :
- Package :
1. Fix some presentation of Spanish language .
2. Add "Windows Server 2008 x64 R2" identification folder.
Danger Den DD-5870 Water Block Announced
The DD-5870 block is designed to have superior cooling performance while minimizing the pressure loss across the block. This combined with other Danger Den blocks maintains a high flow rate through the entire system maximizing the cooling performance of all the components.Features:
- Fits Reference Design ATI 5870 video cards
- Pure Copper 110 used for the copper base
- High Flow design
- Easy installation with Hard Mount Stops built into the block.
- Crossfire Compatible and Certified!!
- Significantly reduces Load and Idle temperatures on the video card 20-30C+
- Capable of massive overclocks - card/silicon dependent
- Completely Anti-Corrosive. No Aluminum used
- Prepped for Crossfire
- Smoked acrylic top!
- All hardware is included to mount one block to one card...including thermal pads and Ceramique thermal paste.
Danger Den, based in Astoria, OR, has improved their in-house production process and is now able to offer the DD-5870 at a very decent price of $99.95. he DD-5870 will be available to order on October 16th. The product page lists all of the details.
Stay tuned for the 5870X2 and 5850 versions also as ATI has sent CAD drawings and samples to Danger Den
G.Skill launches ultra low voltage memory
Compared to the current DDR3 standard voltage of 1.65V, G.Skill
Tide is turning for AMD
AMD beats expectations by announcing a third-quarter net loss of $128 million, or 18 cents per share, on a revenue of $1.4 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected AMD would report a loss of 42 cents per share on a revenue of $1.26 billion. Sales were down 22 percent from $1.8 billion in Q3 2008 but up 18 percent sequentially, while the company's loss shrunk from $134 million, or 22 cents per share, in the year-earlier period.
AMD CEO Dirk Meyer points out the AMD Product Company, which excludes the foundry segment, achieved a non-GAAP net income of $2 million, thus delivering on his promise to return to profitability.
A breakdown of the revenue reveals computing solution sales were up 17 percent sequentially to $1,069 million, due to higher shipments and higher Average Selling Prices (ASPs) of processors. Compared to Q3 2008 computing solutions revenue is down 23 percent, mainly due to dropping ASPs. Sales of ATI graphics cards are up 22 percent sequentially to $306 million, units were up but ASPs down. Compared to the year-earlier period graphics card revenue is down 21 percent, mainly due to lower ASPs.
Patriot Box Office HD Media Player
Patriot has introduced the Box Office, this device enables you to play Full HD video on your TV. There's support for USB storage devices and room for one 2.5" SSD or HDD. The Patriot Box Office has HDMI and composite outputs, UPnP support, three USB ports and Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound support. WiFi is optional.
"Patriot's Box Office brings the digital revolution to the home audience," says Jack Chen, Patriot's Business Development Manager. "Contrary to some popular media devices in the market, the Box Office is simply an all in one solution combining high definition media play back, file copy/ move/ transfer capability between sources, P2P download management, industry's leading video preview function, and even compatible for internet video streaming with 3rd party software."
Intel to release 32nm Core i5 on January 3rd
Intel is set to release the first 32nm desktop CPUs on 3rd January 2010. Releasing first are the Clarkdale CPUs - part of the Westmere, or 32nm Nehalem die shrinks. A total of four models are expected; Core i5 650, 660 and 670, clocking in at 3.2, 3.33 and 3.46 GHz respectively. They will be priced at the $176, $196 and $284 respectively.
All Clarkdale CPUs come with an IGP on die, and fit into the LGA1156 socket that currently powers Lynnfield CPUs. The branding is quite a mess - further complicated by Core i5 7xx series, which are quad core Lynnfields. One might have suggested a simpler Core i7 for Bloomfield, Core i5 for Lynnfield and Core i3 for Clarkdale, but Intel did not want to differentiate them this way.
A further model, Core i5 661 is also expected. The only difference between this and the 660 is that the IGP will be clocked higher.
Once the Core i5/i3 Clarkdale CPUs hit market, it will effectively phase out the entire Core 2 range.
The other Clarkdale CPUs are the Core i3 530 and 540 covering $123-$150. The Core i3 CPUs will not feature Turbo mode. A budget Pentium G6950 is also expected at $84, without turbo, HT and 1MB less L3 cache.
PT boats: Knights of the Sea Clip
Current Radeon HD 5800 series pricing
Typically we call this bulletin Deals of the day. However ...
It's been a week or three new ever since ATI launched their instantly popular DX11 Radeon series 5000 products. The availability is really average at the moment causing prices to be inflated a little on the high side, let's have a look at some of the offerings and prices.
Radeon HD 5870
Radeon HD 5850
- Diamond Multimedia Radeon HD 5850 Video Card - $289.99
GPU-Z 0.3.6 Released
A new update on GPU-Z is out and it supports the latest catalyst & latest forceware drivers. The utility is designed to give you all information about your video card and GPU.
Here is the list of changes :
- Added Infotips, they can be turned off in the system menu
- Added preliminary support for ATI
RadeonHD 5900 (Hemlock), HD 5600 (Cedar), HD 5300 (Redwood)
- Added full support for HD 5850, HD 5770, HD 5750
- GPU-Z no longer crashes on ATI ULPS enabled CrossFire configurations
- Fillrate Pixel, Fillrate Texel, Memory Bandwidth will now correctly recalculate when clocks change
- Bus Interface, ATI shader count is now periodically refreshed
- Added support for HD 5850 voltages
- Second voltage on HD 5870 correctly named VDDCI
- ATI clock reading code fixed
- Fixed default clock reading on HD 5850
- Added Mutex to avoid collisions on long I2C operations
- Added basic detection for a lot of
- Added detection for ATI FireGL V7600, M92, RS880
- Added detection for NVIDIA GT 130, 9600 GE, Tesla C1060, G 220, GT 220, NVS 3100, GTS 160 M, NVS 160M, NVS 150M, G105M, GT 240M, G105M, G210M, G310M, ION LE
- Fixed die size and transistor count on G72 M
Download - click here.
12 Hottest Geek Girls
Well, I coudn't keep you guys away from this one. Check out Manolith which has published a list of the 12 hottest geek girls, you can check out the pretty photos at their site.
Their regularions are tough though, There are criteria that must be met to make a proper geek girl; she must be geeky, she must be a techie, and she must be hot.
CryENGINE3 Released to Developers and Trailer
BTW you guys -- the demo looks freaking awesome !