Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 VGA performance review
Last week the long awaited sequel to Call of Duty Modern Warfare was released -- COD Modern Warfare 2 probably has been one of the biggest anticipated PC game titles this year. This is Guru3D.com we have a fetish for graphics cards and games, as such we took no less than twenty-three graphics configurations and put performance to the test.
Over the next few pages a word or two about the game, some image quality comparisons and obviously a nice lengthy VGA chart ranging from monitor resolution 1280x1024 up-to 2560x1600 measured with and with out AA.
Read the article here.
PowerColor Launches a Radeon PLAY! HD 5770
TUL Corporation, a leading manufacturer of AMD graphics cards, today announces a new flavor to HD5700 series: PLAY! HD5770. PLAY! HD5770 features full digital output solution with Display Port / HDMI/ DVI onboard design; delivers an incredible visual performance at all resolutions. And with the support of ATI Eyefinity technology, PLAY! HD5770 can run up to three displays from one single card and give all gamers a surreal gaming experience.
PowerColor PLAY! HD5770 clocks at 850MHz core speed and 1200MHz of memory speed; with an ultra 92mm cooling fan, PLAY! HD5770 is able to increase air flow in low fan speed, yet still dissipates heat easily from the cooper base, which covers the GPU entirely. This cooler also reduces fan noise and enhances cooling ability to deliver the ultimate gaming performance in a low-noisy, and cool operating environment.
"PLAY! HD5770 supports all the latest technology including ATI Eyefinity, ATI stream and DirectX
Smallest 16GB USB Drive on the Planet
Active Media Products, manufacturer of SSDs and innovative USB drives, today announced the new Wink USB drive measuring merely 1.2 x 0.5 x 0.1 inches and tipping the scales at only 1/20 of an ounce. The Wink drive is available now in capacities from 2GB to 16GB.
Waterproof Wink Drive Measures only 1.2 inches Long and Weighs Less Than 1/20 Oz. Although its size is small, the Wink drive's storage capacity is great. The 16GB model holds up to 5,000 MP3 songs. The Wink drive is also quite rugged. The delicate electronics are encapsulated in a waterproof COB unit, which is in turn protected by a high-impact polymer outer shell. The outer case features an embossed wink face and an eye hole for an included keychain. According to Active Media Products VP of Sales, Jerry Thomson, "We designed the Wink drive to be extremely small, yet rugged and reliable." These new drives are Windows 7 and OS X compatible. All four capacities are available today through Amazon at prices starting at $7.95 to $38 USD for the 16 GB version.
NVIDIA ION Cube PC Mod
Bill Owens has a rather nice way of showing his support for NVIDIA, in the form of the award-winning NVIDIA ION Cube PC case mod, which as its name implies, is based on NVIDIA
AMD Phenom II surpasses 7GHz
The wonder processor that achieved this speed was the AMD Phenom II microprocessor. The IT enterprise made a video where it demonstrated its ability to rise as high as the aforementioned 7GHz. The wonder didn't stop at that, though, as overcloskers put all their effort, knowledge and skill into conquering the 7.1 GHz record by using the Phenom II X4 955 Black edition.
According to the CPU-Z validation database, the highest clock speed ever attained by that AMD Phenom II X4 is of 7.127GHz. Of course, the achievement wasn't possible through 'reasonable' means and, naturally, there is no way to achieve such a clock speed on a regular platform. The overclockers had to seriously modify the hardware and use extra resources, such as liquid nitrogen, and all the skills they could muster.
In the end, the overclockers were successful in their attempt to more than double the normal clock speed of the AMD Phenom II X4 955 chip (3.20GHz). The video was made earlier this year during the QuakeCon trade-show, an overclocking event held by Advanced Micro Devices in Austin.
There is a certain fact that could lead to further developments in this area. The processor in question was based on the C2 revision of the core. Since then, however, AMD introduced the C3 revision of the Deneb chip, which, allegedly, consumes less energy and has higher possibilities for overclocking. Considering the ingenuity of the record setters, we can easily assume that they wouldn't shrink from putting together yet another 'unorthodox' contraption that would again break the clock-spreed record.
Dude designs Pentium shoes
Oh yea .. talking about walking high end ;) Gabriel Dishaw created some shoes that are at the very leasty remarkable:
"This sculpture is part of a shoes series I'm currently working where I revisit some of my favorite classic sneakers silhouettes. With this piece I again tried to create a complete piece with both box and shoe notice some of the details, shoes lock down inside of box for easy portability, I also tied this piece around a theme,"Pentium", the name of Intel's chips. You will notice this repeated through out the shoes, and box"
Let's ask him if he has size Core i7 975 as well .. ;)
Dirt 2 DirectX11 PC version specs
Recommended Specifications: Enhanced for DirectX 11:
OS: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core i7 or AMD Phenom II
HD Space: 10GB
Video Card: ATi Radeon HD 5700 Series
OS: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Memory: 1GB (2Gb for Windows Vista)
HD Space: 10GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1500 or NVIDIA GeForce 6800
Google Chrome OS due in the next few days
It is reported over at Tech Crunch that Google
NVIDIA to show Fermi at SC09
Looks like instead of using mockups NVIDIA has got some working samples ready of their upcoming GPU codenamed Fermi. Should you by any chance visit SC09 (Super Computer Convention) on Tuesday go to NVIDIA booth# 2365 will be showcasing the breadth of NVIDIA CUDA
Cooler Master HAF 922 review
Don't expect the 922 to be a "dried up" version of the 932 though; it actually offers some improvements, especially when it comes to cable management. The HAF 922 is a good blend of a nice design, yet comes with pretty wicked yet silent cooling and then all the little extra's like decent cable management, removable drive trays for your HDDs, tool less insertion of say a DVD-RW drive and what we like to see very much, something as simple as an opening in the motherboard back tray so you can swap out a CPU cooer backplate without the need of an invasive procedure to remove the entire motherboard.
It's what Cooler Master does well, the HAF meets the requirements in ease of use and design at an affordable price.
Check out the article right here.
YouTube to add support for 1080P
"As resolution of consumer cameras increases, we want to make sure YouTube is the best home on the web to showcase your content," said YouTube software engineer Billy Biggs on the company's blog.
Users can submit 1080p videos to be considered for an upcoming spotlight on the YouTube homepage. The expanded service is expected to go live in the next few weeks. Content that was previously uploaded in 1080p resolution will be automatically re-encoded, eliminating the need to resubmit the videos.
Mona Lisa Created from Motherboard scrap
OCZ: SSD and HDD prices same within five years
OCZ CEO Ryan Petersen says that he expects that in five years from now the price per gigabyte of solid state disks will almost match the price per gigabyte of hard disk drives.
At present SSDs are used in conjunction with hard drives in order to reduce boot-up time and accelerate performance of frequently used programs. However, that is going to change in the future as the price of flash will get closer to that of hard drives in terms of per gigabyte cost.
Command & Conquer expected in March 2010
EA Los Angeles spreads word that that its story-concluding PC real-time strategy Commander & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight will be released for PC on March 16, 2010.
The pre-order bonuses of early beta access, a copy of the orchestral soundtrack, and an exclusive bonus prequel campaign mission were also unveiled.
Modern Warfare 2 Sells 4.7M in 24 Hours
Activision Blizzard sent out a press release announcing it sold 4.7 million copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, or $310 million of sales, on its first day, setting a new record for the video game industry.
The shooting game went on sale on Tuesday in the most highly anticipated debut of the year. Fans had lined up for hours outside retail stores like GameStop in advance of the midnight release. Analysts projected unit sales of 11 million to 13 million by the end of 2009, saying "Call of Duty" would defy the weak economy because it appeals to hard-core gamers willing to shell out $60 for the title. Estimates for launch-day sales ranged from $300 million to $340 million.
Intel Settles -- Pays $1.25 Billion to AMD
The settlement announced Thursday between Intel and AMD
AfterBurner 1.4.0 Released !
Hoem grown here in the trenches of Guru3D.com AfterBurner revision 1.4.0 is here !
Afterburner is powered by our own Rivatuner engine, but this software comes with a few extra's. AfterBurner will support both ATI and NVIDIA graphics cards, Voltage regulation on the GPU, overclocking on core, shader and memory domains, GPU load levels (ATI), fan speed adjustment, device information .. and a really wicked graphical (configurable) monitor.
So with combined forces MSI will bring you their new AfterBurner overclock software. AfterBurner, as in giving that airplane an extra boost of power. The end-result (we feel) is a great looking user-friendly overclocking experience, with on-the-fly advanced user options .. including something I know many of you will like, VRM voltage control.
- Up to 85% overclocking capability
- Over voltage function to significantly increase overclocking potential
- Core/Shader/Memory clock adjustment
- Core/Shader clock Link/Unlink capability
- Clock/Voltage/Temperature/Fan Speed/Frame rate real-time monitor
- Maximum/Minimum value for easy record of system condition
- Real-time On-Screen-Display information in games
- Real-time information in Windows Tray Icon
- Detach mode for hardcore monitor style
- 5 Profile to easy save/load user customized setting
- Profile hot-key for easy and quick switch in games
- 2D/3D automatic profile switching for difference scenario
- Special Function:
- Advanced fan speed control for different speed under different temperature trigger points
- Mutil-GPU independent or synchronous control for clock/voltage/fan speed
- Information button for graphics card driver version, BIOS version, identification, OSD status and update link
- User Customized skin function
- Apply overclocking setting at system startup
Afterburner v.1.4.0 (2009-11-11)
- Added initial AMD RADEON HD 5970 series graphics cards support
- Added voltage control for cost down reference design AMD RADEON HD 4870 series graphics cards with L6788A voltage regulator
- Added voltage control for custom design MSI R4770 Cyclone graphics cards series with uP6204 voltage regulators
- Ineffective and slow temperature, clock, GPU usage and fan speed monitoring implementation provided by native AMD's ADL SDK has been replaced with own more effective low-level codepath. Due to new codepath hardware monitoring related CPU performance hit has been reduced drastically on the systems with AMD graphics cards and drivers.
- On-Screen Display and Logitech LCD monitoring modules no longer explicitly read displayed data from hardware and retrieve cached data from monitoring graphs instead. Due to this change CPU performance hit is reduced when OSD or LCD monitoring features are enabled.
- Fan speed slider position and numeric fan speed input field are now being refreshed in automatic fan speed mode only when MSI Afterburner window is active.
- Added configuration file switch allowing power users to unlock unofficial overclocking codepath in AMD display drivers (similar to AMDGPUClockTool, ATITool and RivaTuner overclocking implementation on AMD graphics cards).
Unlike AMD's official ADL SDK overclocking ways, unofficial ones are not limited with CCC clock limit but have some alternate disadvantages (e.g. PowerPlay support limitation).
Please take a note that unofficial overclocking methods are not supported either by AMD or by MSI, so unlock and use it at your own risk.
- Now it is possible to toggle performance profiler status info visibility in hardware monitor window via [Show status] option in the context menu.
- Fixed L6788A database entry for AMD RADEON HD 4770 series graphics cards
- GPU voltage monitoring feature is now locked and not available by default.
Unfortunately some inexperienced users don't understand the risk of running multiple tools accessing voltage regulator at the same time and tend to use helper voltage monitoring features in everyday hardware monitoring sessions in conjunction with third party VRM monitoring tools, intensively writing data to VRM and periodically causing it to enter wrong state due to write collision. Unfortunately such issues are wrongly treated by certain users as instability of our product. To prevent such rumors, since this version voltage monitoring feature is no longer available to beginners by default.
Experienced users understanding these specifics and accepting these risks may unlock voltage monitoring features via new safety option in [General]tab
- AMD RV8xx I2C microcontroller is now being forcibly reset prior to starting new I2C transaction to minimize the risk of I2C collisions with third party tool without I2C synchronization protocol support (e.g. AMDGPUClockTool)
- Added safety option allowing users to disable voltage control feature if it is not needed
- Now Afterburner forcibly changes memory clock for all performance levels at once on AMD graphics cards with equal default memory clocks defined for all performance levels to bypass flickering issue caused by incorrect PowerPlay dynamic memory clock changing implementation on some cards
- Added Catalyst driver family version detection for AMD graphics cards
- Added option to display system time in the On-Screen Display
- Added red and blue editions of default skin
- Various minor user interface and skin tweaks
- Added configuration file switches allowing power users to tweak Afterburner startup process and define startup delay or force the startup to be handled by Windows Vista / Windows 7 Task Scheduler to bypass UAC evaluation window (additional Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 runtime libraries installation is required for task scheduler based startup way)
- MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.6.0. New server provides improved desktop windows notification mechanism and also features optional power user oriented task scheduler based startup way
- Added skin format reference documentation. Now third party skin designers may use this local offline documentation to create their own skins for MSI Afterburner. Official MSI Afterburner skin creation contest is approaching!
Do you feel that you can design nice skins for MSI Afterburner? Stay tuned and don't miss your chance to win the prize!
Please bare in mind that this software works with MSI graphics cards and a handful of reference based cards, you could be lucky though ;)
- Article on AfterBurner (Guide)
- AfterBurner Website (MSI)
- AfterBurner Support Forums
- Download AfterBurner 1.4.0
Radeon HD 5970 spotted in German pricewatch
The Radeon HD 5870 X2 AKA Radeon HD 5970 has listed in a German pricewatch engine. At Geizhals.at a listing of AMD's soon to be launched Hemlock graphics card 5970 was spotted.
It's not exactly a surprise that the brand listed is once again -- Sapphire. They have a bit of a tendency with launched to leak a thing or two. As it now appears the dual GPU based 5970 will not exactly be two 5870 cards as the specs indeed are a little slower. Well noting we can't tweak out of it eh Guru's ? We again see specifications like two 40nm GPUs running at 725MHz, dual 256-bit memory buses with 1GHz GDDR5 (effective 4GHz data rate).
The card will get a dual DVI-I, HDMI, and as the list shows, a mini DisplayPort. Launch prices seem to be close to the 499 EUR market, which makes sense and is as expected.