Intel Z68 chipset to launch in May
Intel's Z68 chipset has reportedly entered production. According to some hints the first motherboards based on this new chipset will hit the market in May. The Z68 is aimed at enthusiasts, the chipset itself costs about $8 more than the P67.
Intel has started production of their Z68 chipset this week along with other Cougar Point SKUs like H61 and Q65. All of them are based on the new B3 stepping therefore the SATA port 2-5 issue is fixed before they hit the market. Judging from the specs, it seems Intel has catered Z68 specially for enthusiasts which allows better processor overclocking, discrete graphics support and SSD caching capability. With these enhancements, Intel has priced the Z68 chipset some US$8 higher than the P67 counterpart. The launch for the Z68 chipset is slated for first week of May
F.E.A.R. 3 'Behind the Scenes: Tone' Trailer
Guru3D Rig of the Month - February 2011
The DIY build of February 2011 is just freakishly nice, Meet Brunel, who works in the French military force. He modified his PC very extreme, very nice.
It's all done and intended for himself and believe it or not, this is not some sort of showcase model for a company, a PC 100% for himself.
Oh and hey .. this is his first PC modification evah. Check it out right here.
MSI Radeon 6870 HAWK review
MSI is pre-overclocking this 1024MB HAWK model towards 930 MHz. And then there's the overclock potential, a new voltage regulation circuitry was embedded, allowing not only to play and tweak around with GPU voltages, nope ... they added voltage control for the memory and Auxilary/PLL voltage as well. We see a custom PCB with phase LEDs, voltage monitoring points, military class components and to put some icing on the cake, the all new TwinFrz III heatpipe cooler that is bound to bring good temperatures versus low noise levels.
Hot Stuffz in a good fashion ! Check out the Guru3D review right here.
A-DATA to debut 6Gbps SSD and new USB 3.0 devices
And A-Data joins the bandwagon as well, as they announced some of the new products it will show off at CeBIT. This includes the S102 USB 3.0 flash drive, the CH11 USB 3.0 HDD (pictured below), and the S511 SSD with SandForce's new SF-2200 controller.
Corsair SF-2200 SSDs at CeBIT
Corsair issued a press-release saying it will deonstrate SandForce SF-2000 based solid state disks at CeBIT. These new Force series SSDs promise read speeds of up to 520MB/s, write speeds as high as 500MB/s and up to 60,000 random 4k write IOPS.
Corsair, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced it will preview its new Force Series
AMD EU rebate program high-end Phenom Radeon combos
AMD has released a rebate program for customers in the UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands, you can access it at a new website named AMD Promotions.
Under the terms, buyers of high-end AMD hardware can receive a rebate of 25EUR (
Intel Thunderbolt (aka Light Peak) at 10Gbps bandwidth
Intel has announced its Light Peak technology as "Thunderbolt". This new connection technology offers a bandwidth of up to 10Gbps and will be available first on Apple's new line of MacBook Pro laptops and later on will find a way into PC gear.
Intel Corporation today announced the availability of Thunderbolt
Patriot debuts SandForce SF-2200 based Wildfire SSDs
Patriot shows their new Wildfire series solid state disks with the SandForce SF-2200 controller:
Patriot Memory, a global pioneer in high-performance memory, NAND flash, storage and enthusiast computer products, today announces the new Wildfire series solid-state drives powered by a new SandForce
New Steam Client Update
Valve released a new Steam client update, a pretty big one as well. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select 'Check for Steam Client Updates...'. New Features and UI updates:
* Added support for Steam Screenshots. Press F12 while in any game that runs the Steam Overlay to take screenshots, then publish them to your Steam Community profile, or anywhere else on the web. Each user is allotted 1 GB of Steam Cloud storage for screenshots.
Library Search capability and related navigation updates
* Added Search capability to the library for quick filtering of your list. Press Tab to move focus to and from the search field, press Esc to clear the search.
* Moved access to all library sub views (Games, Media Tools, Downloads, etc.) into the library's dropdown control
Voice quality improvements
* Changed microphone voice input from 11 kHz to 16 kHz
* Changed voice output from 8 kHz to 16 kHz
* Fixed the settings-dialog microphone test to correctly re-init the calibration client if the active voice device changes
* Reduced voice prefix buffer size from 200 to 100 ms, but increased trailing from 200 to 400 ms - reduces latency when transitioning from silence to active voice, but still should keep it from sounding like chat is cutting out mid-sentence
* Increased thresholds for voice activity detection, making it less sensitive
* Increased amount of gain applied to voice
* Changed disconnect message when a friend ends a voice call to ' has ended the call'
* Windows: Fixed microphone to reinitialize correctly if Windows signals that a device in the system has changed
* Windows: Changed voice output device for Steam to be the default communication device
* Added an option to display the client's URL address bar, and turned it off by default, given its limited utility
* Web views now include a "Copy Page URL" command in the context menu, to copy the page's web address to the clipboard
* Moved game invites from friends outside of the chat stream, into their own panel in the chat dialog for improved discoverability
* Added password strength meter to the Change Password wizard
* Added a prompt to choose a new password if you've recently had Steam Support change your password on your behalf
General bug fixes
* Fixed game invites not working from lobby-based games
* Fixed games not launching automatically after resolving a cloud conflict
* Fixed download rate sometimes erroneously reporting very high speeds
* Fixed a crash on startup or when viewing Games page
* Fixed client hang which could occur while hovering on links in any HTML-based display area
* Corrected check box states in the Friends window menu to properly remain in sync
* Fixed bug where some downloadable content was not downloaded until the client was restarted
* Fixed a rare and small, but steady memory leak caused by the Steam Overlay in some full screen D3D10/D3D11 games
* Mac OS X: Fixed a problem where attempting to resume a paused/interrupted download could always report
Nvidia Quadro used for transformation scenes in Black Swan
Nvidia published a small interesting article on their blog about how their Quadro workstation graphics cards were used to create the final scene in the Natalie Portman film Black Swan. Oh my man, the feathers are rendered alright.
" The 11,000 feathers LOOK created for the transformation scene were based on high-resolution scans of actual tundra swans, and Lipowski built detailed feather geometry for quills, as well as complicated rigs to form the feathers individually.
World smallest Computer
Over at the the University of Michigan they have demoed a prototype self powering computer just over one cubic millimeter in size.
This makes it the first complete millimeter-scale computing system. Designed as an implantable eye pressure monitor for glaucoma patients, the computer consists of a low-power microprocessor, a pressure sensor, memory, a thin-film battery, a solar cell and a wireless radio to transmit data to an external reader device.
The computer achieves ultra-low power consumption with a unique power gating architecture and an extreme sleep mode:
The newest system wakes every 15 minutes to take measurements and consumes an average of 5.3 nanowatts. To keep the battery charged, it requires exposure to 10 hours of indoor light each day or 1.5 hours of sunlight. It can store up to a week
Official Skyrim Trailer released
Bethesda have updated the site for Elder Scrolls V with the official trailer for the game.
The video lasts 2 minutes and 54 seconds and features cinematics and gameplay. In addition to the trailer, the official website has also been given a major update, with new Skyrim features and legacy pages for all of the previous games in the Elder Scrolls series.
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim is to be released on 11/11/11 for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB review
It was only a week ago when we tested the OCZ Vertex 3 PRO, the somewhat business and enterprise oriented SSD. But what about the enthusiast consumers you might wonder ? Well for you guys OCZ will release a cheaper regular Vertex 3 SSD. It's as fast as that PRO version you guys.
Quite frankly from what you'll see today is that this SSD might be roughly as fast as the PRO model, so what are the differences then ? Well, Let's find out and check this review.
Enermax MaxRevo Power Supplies
Enermax developed another high-performance series, which is specially designed for multi-GPU systems, industrial PC, workstations and servers. It complies with the strictest standards for server PSU, and is equipped with six powerful 12V rails for a safe and stable supply of power to today
Cooler Master GX 450W Power Supply
Cooler Master is going to show a whole new mid-range power supply, GX-450 on CeBit.
This power supply is specifically targeted at systems in the upper-mid range, yet reasonably priced. The Cooler Master GX Series of power supplies feature a single highly robust 12 V rail, proficiently delivering power to the most demanding components including the processor, drives, and cooling fans. Now including a double-layer EMI Filter, an intelligent 120 mm controllable fan and an active PFC/PWM combo controller for increased efficiency, the GX Series will keep the power in your hands.
Product Features and Descriptions
- Compliance with the latest Intel standard ATX 12V V 2.31.
- Single +12V rail provides ample power and strong resistance to any overloading.
- High efficiency design that meets 80 Plus requirements (85% typical).
- Multiple protection designs (OVP / UVP / OPP / OTP / SCP).
- High reliability (MTBF>100,000 hours).
- Double Layer EMI filter reduces Electromagnetic interference
- Huge bulk capacitor for hold-up times of >17ms when fully loaded.
- Efficient transformer that reduces 5Vsb power loss when the system is in an off/sleep state.
- EuP ready: To save most power consumption (below 0.5W in standby mode).
- Five-year warranty.
The pricing of this unit will be roughly 55 EUR.
MSI Afterburner 2.1.0 released
After months of Beta development, MSI and Guru3D happily announce Afterburner 2.1.0 Final version. Thanks for all the feedback from you during Beta period. The new version uncluded support for the latest graphics cards yet also introduces a new feature called Predator -- allowing you to capture video's of your games.
MSI announced today that its Afterburner V2.1.0 overclocking utility and its Kombustor V2.0.0 testing utility is now available for all gamers to download worldwide.
The new version of Afterburner not only supports the latest NVIDIA GeForce 500 and AMD Radeon HD 6000 series of graphics cards*, but also adds the Predator in-games video capture function. Gamers can now capture all of their most intense moments in their favorite games and share them with the world on sites like YouTube.
PowerColor Eyefinity 6 Radeon HD 6870
Powercolor teases us today with the Eyefinity 6 HD6870, an upcoming Radeon HD 6870 graphics card with six Mini-DisplayPort outputs. Further details are unknown but it's likely that the card will make an appearance at CeBIT.
For those that may have forgotten, Eyefinity 6 allows one to spread the screen over six displays at once, usually intended for gaming, though the monitors will need particularly thin bezels, plus DisplayPort inputs.
Check out review on eyefinity 6 here.