Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 1 released
We're happy to announce that we start Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta process, in this version we have early support of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470/480 along with other many exciting features.
A few important notes on initial GTX 400 series support.
- It is no longer possible to adjust core and shader clocks independently on GTX 400 series. Shader clock is the primary and the only controlable GPU clock for this NVIDIA GPU architecture, the rest parts of core are clocked @ half of shader clock (1/2 ratio is hardwired). So you will have only shader clock slider unlocked on GF100 GPUs, core clock slider is no longer available on these cards. That is by design and must be so.
- It is no longer possible to downclock memory for 3D mode. So the minimum limit for memory clock matches with default 3D clock. It is also by design and must be so.
- Currently available public GF100 drivers have open issue with fixed fan control mode on GTX 400 series: once you enable fixed fan control mode, it is impossible to switch fan control back to default automatic fan speed mode. Reboot is required to restore automatic fan control mode. NVIDA are aware about issue and the fix is already available in new drivers (not available to public yet). So keep it in mind and in meanwhile don't forget to reboot the system to resotre automatic fan control mode if you play with fixed fan control mode in any tool. Alternately, just enable Afterburner's software automatic fan speed mode. It will do the job instead of NV driver until the fix is available.
- Voltage control for GTX 400 series in not implemented yet.
[Changelog] Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 1
- Added initial NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 series graphics cards support
- Added basic screen capture support by means of built-in screen capture engine of MSI On-Screen Display server. Now it is possible to assign the hotkey for capturing screenshots in BMP, PNG or JPG formats in DirectX applications and in BMP format on desktop or in OpenGL applications
- Added hardware monitoring history logging support. Now MSI Afterburner is able to save history in native RivaTuner Hardware Monitoring Log file format. The log files captured with MSI Afterburner can be viewed in any text editor like Notepad or in graphics form in RivaTuner's HML file viewer (RivaTuner must be installed for viewing log files in graphics form)
- Added new safety option allowing forcring constant voltage on some cards with voltage regulators supporting programmable dynamic voltage management (e.g. VT1165 or uP6266). New safety option may improve stability on some systems as well as provide power state independent voltage control on the systems with non-standard voltage control implementation
- MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.7.0. New server gives you a lot of improvements including:
- Stealth mode automatic disabling feature. Now the server is able to disable
stealth mode automatically if incompatible application like FRAPS is active.
You no longer need to disable stealth mode manually if you need to run the
server simultaneously with FRAPS, but keep in mind that stealth technologies will not be active in this case
- DirectX11 On-Screen Display and screen capture support
- Screen capture support for DirectX10 and DirectX11 applications using
multisampled antialiasing or non-standard frame buffer formats (e.g. sRGB)
- Optional On-Screen Display 3D rendering mode. New mode uses 3D accelerated DirectX functions to emulate previously used 2D framebuffer access function and render 2D text. New rendering mode provides On-Screen Display support in DirectX10 and DirectX11 applications using multisampled antialiasing and can also drastically reduce OSD related performance hit on the systems with badly optimized 2D acceleration in display drivers
- Now screenshot file extension is forcibly set to BMP if JPG or PNG screen capture is requested on desktop or in OpenGL application
- Simplified On-Screen Display coordinate space settings. Rarely used desktop and window coordinate space modes have been merged into single framebuffer coordinate space mode
- Now the server automatically selects framebuffer coordinate space instead
of viewport coordinate space when viewport is not accessible (e.g. if pure Direct3D8 device is in use)
- Improved application notification scheme during runtime profiles adjustment. Now runtime changes in OSD application profiles (e.g. OSD zoom ratio change on the fly) are reflected in affedted application almost immedaitely instead of approximately 1 second delay in the previos versions
- Reduced runtime skin engine memory footprint due to dynamic skin storage
- Updated profiles list
- Now MSI Afterburner distributive includes original 128x128 PNG application
logo (stored in .\Graphics folder) for dockbar applications like RocketDock
- It is no longer necessary to close the application to save monitoring window
Download - Click here
Phenom II X4 Overclocking Masterclass
Phenom II X4 Overclocking Masterclass - Poor some LN2 on it
The professional overclocker's scene, and it's a demographic that Guru3D will be following more closely. It's the extreme side of overclocking, yes the guys that use extravagant cooling methods to lift the core frequency to way higher levels. And today we'll be doing exactly that.
We'll have our tame race driver 'OldScarface', a Dutch overclocker, tryout the latest revision of the Phenom II 965BE -- the latest stepping with a lower TDP. The objective is to pass 5 or maybe even 6 GHz on this processor. To do so, all he'll need is a couple of litres of Liquid Nitrogen, the right equipment and time... lots of time.
Check out this Guru3D article right here.
SilverStone preps new Precision Value chassis
Germany based ilverStone is preparing a new chassis targeted at the mainstream market. It's called the Precision series PS05. This mid-tower ATX case measures 190 x 456.5 x 501.2 mm, with extensive use of plastic and SECC steel.
Given the price the specs and features will be a little sober. are basic but includes four 5.25" and two external 3.5" drive bays, a drive cage room for another four 3.5" drives, partly tool-free design, all-black interiors, motherboard with hole to manage certain kinds of CPU coolers, and a ventilation system which includes fans and fan-slots for the front, rear, and top.
The PS05 is expected to go for 41.50
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 and 480
Gigabyte's GV-N470D5-13I-B (GTX 470) and GV-N480D5-15I-B (GTX 480) support the DirectX 11, CUDA, PhysX, 3-way SLI and 3D Vision Surround, PureVideo HD and GigaThread technologies. Furthermore, they are mostly identical to the GPU maker's original products, with the only difference being that the cooling modules are designed with a blue theme, for aesthetic and branding purposes.
The GTX 480 has a the GF100 graphics processing unit (GPU) running at a frequency of 700MHz, the 1,536MB GDDR5 clocked at 3,696MHz and a shader clock of 1401. The device also features a 384-bit memory interface, 480 CUDA cores, 60 texture units and a thermal design power (TDP) of 250W.
As for video-output capabilities, the video board is built with dual-DVI and a mini HDMI port. The second card, the GTX 470, has 448 cores, 56 texture units, a 320-bit memory interface, 1,280MB of GDDR5 VRAM and GPU/shader/memory clocks of 607/1,215/3,348MHz. This card consumes 215W and its output options are identical to those of its sibling.
Mafia 2 - PAX East nVIDIA PhysX Video
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
Tell me someone who don't know, played or at least heared about Sonic the Hedgehog, a game that was like the father of all games on the classic Sega Genesis Console. Well, SEGA made a fortune with that game and so, Sonic character became legend for SEGA.
Well, it seems, SEGA wants to really go back to it's roots, after trying miserably to port Sonic character into full 3D in all kinds of ways, it seems now, Sonic wants to go back to it's beginings.
So, SEGA is launching Sonic The Hedgehog 4 in an Episodic way, Episode 1 will be out soon and you can take a look at their website. Sonic is back in Full HD but with all the little details that made Sonic the Hedgehog so popular. For now, the game will be available on XBOX Live, PS Network and WiiWare but a big "???" is put out on the botton and top right of the website meaning, surely, a PC version comming out also.
GPU-Z 0.4.0 released
GPU-Z is a lightweight utility designed to give you all information about your video card and GPU.
New Revision updates:
- Added support for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480
- Added voltage monitoring for HD 5750, 5830, 5870 Lightning
- Added support for Intel Pineview
- Fixed double memory clock reading on NVIDIA w/ GDDR5 (real clock is now displayed)
- Fixed rounding errors in RV7xx and Evergreen fan monitoring code
- Added tooltip translations for Albanian and Chinese Traditional
- Memory bandwidth calculation uses GB now instead of GiB
- Added new hardware giveaway tab in cooperation with ASUS
Fraps 3.2.0 released
Fraps is a universal Windows application that can be used with games using DirectX or OpenGL graphic technology.
In its current form Fraps performs many tasks and can best be described as:
Benchmarking Software - Show how many Frames Per Second (FPS) you are getting in a corner of your screen. Perform custom benchmarks and measure the frame rate between any two points. Save the statistics out to disk and use them for your own reviews and applications.
Screen Capture Software - Take a screenshot with the press of a key! There's no need to paste into a paint program every time you want a new shot. Your screen captures are automatically named and timestamped.
Realtime Video Capture Software - Have you ever wanted to record video while playing your favourite game? Come join the Machinima revolution! Throw away the VCR, forget about using a DV cam, game recording has never been this easy! Fraps can capture audio and video up to 2560x1600 with custom frame rates from 10 to 120 frames per second!
Changelog 3.2.0 - 26th Mar 2010
Added loop recording for registered users. Press and hold video capture hotkey to start 30 second buffer
Added option to disable stereoscopic capture when running with NVIDIA 3DVision
Major optimizations for recording from D3D10 & D3D11 games
GeForce GTX 480 noise levels debunked
GeForce GTX 480 noise levels debunked
Ever since the release today of the GeForce GTX 400 series there has been much discussion regarding the noise levels the cards make under load. Especially the GTX 480 is topic of much discussion. Some sites show numbers up in the 60 to 70 DBa, which honestly is really too subjective.
|TYPICAL SOUND LEVELS|
|Jet takeoff (200 feet)||120 dBA|
|Construction Site||110 dBA||Intolerable|
|Shout (5 feet)||100 dBA|
|Heavy truck (50 feet)||90 dBA||Very noisy|
|Urban street||80 dBA|
|Automobile interior||70 dBA||Noisy|
|Normal conversation (3 feet)||60 dBA|
|Office, classroom||50 dBA||Moderate|
|Living room||40 dBA|
|Bedroom at night||30 dBA||Quiet|
|Broadcast studio||20 dBA|
|Rustling leaves||10 dBA||Barely audible|
What happens is that people measure differently and often subjectively. If you place a DBa gun a CM away from the graphics card ventilator then sure, you record really high noise levels. But if you play games, do you place your ear directly on the air exhaust ? Of course not, that just does not make sense to us.
We measure real-life conditions. That means we take a distance of 75cm from the PC and place a DBa gun pointed at the PC. We assume your PC chassis is closed and not open, so is ours. Now to proof to you that the GTX 480 is noisy, but definitely not what some media make it claim to be. I made two video's of the GTX 480 in idle and under heavy stress with Furmark.
The end result is A PC creating roughly as much noise as say a GeForce GTX 295. And again, we are not disputing that this isn't noisy, contrary .. it is noisy alright. But to say it's at a the level of 60~70 DBa makes no sense.
Have a look and listen to the videos.
Above video shows the GeForce GTX 480 in IDLE = ~ 37 DBa.
Above video shows the GeForce GTX 480 heavily stressed with Furmark = ~ 45 DBa
And that my friends is how we measure. We are not saying that other websites are wrong in their measurements, no Sir. We measure in a real-life situation, and that's roughly the distance where your ears are positioned.
There is one more note I like to make, some sites made videos of the noise levels as well, and it is banging noisy. Just like our video, a video camera will always compensate and increase microphone levels when needed. Making that recording sound out of proportion.
Add to that this, if the only sound recorded is the noise of the PC, at what volume should you play it back to be able to have that volume level representative of what the noise levels really are ?
GeForce GTX 450, 440 and 430 specs surface
GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review
GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review
Today we test both the GeForce GTX 470 and 480. Yes, after waiting a ling time NVIDIA today finally released their high-end enthusiast class DirectX 11 capable demonic frag monsters. What we'll do today is focus on features, performance, power consumption, and heat envelopes mainly. We'll get you up-to-date on all the reference and official specifications and features of the new cards. Have a look at one of the most extensive articles we ever published.
In no less than 35 pages of content we'll try and show it all in relation to what you expect to do with a series 400 graphics card, gaming. Without further ado, let me point you to the article:
Read the Guru3D review right here.
MSI reveals GeForce GTX 400 Cards
And the last GTX 400 press release for today. MSI introduces its N480GTX and N470GTX:
Urged over and again until it appeared! In order to fulfill the demand for extreme 3D performance of hardcore gamers, internationally renowned motherboard and graphic card brand- manufacturer MSI launched today the long expecting premium graphic cards N480GTX-M2D15 and N470GTX-M2D12. Both models are built with the latest 40
Inno3D GeForce GTX 480 & 470
Inno3D is excited to announce the grand unveiling of the Inno3D GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470. The GTX 480 boasts an amazing 480 shader processors, a 384-bit interface to 1.5GB of onboard GDDR5 RAM, and clock speeds of 700MHz, 1,401MHz, and 1,848MHz for the core, shaders and memory, respectively - the GTX 470 has 448 SPs and with a 320-bit memory interface.
GTX480/470 was redesigned from the ground up to deliver the best performance on DX11 - adding dedicated engines in the GPU to accelerate key features like tessellation. Game performance and image quality has received a tremendous boost, enabling film-like geometric realism for game characters and objects. Geometric realism is central to the GTX480/470 architectural enhancements for graphics. In addition, PhysX simulations are much faster, and developers can utilize GPU computing features in games most effectively.
Inno3D's offering comes with reference clocks.
eVGA launches GTX480 and 470
eVGA also issues their rpess releases and announces a complete series right away. The product they'll release include pre-overclock version and a liquid-cooled version as well:
- GTX 480&470
- GTX 480&470 SuperClocked FTW
- GTX 480&470 Hydro Copper
EVGA is proud to announce the latest and fastest GPU on planet earth, the EVGA GTX 480 and the EVGA GTX 470! Experience heart-pounding cinematic visuals thanks to the combined power of DirectX 11, NVIDIA PhysX, and NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround technologies.
Palit launches GeForce GTX 470 and 480
Palit Microsystems Ltd, the leading graphics card manufacturer, announces the world
CoolIT Systems Omni ALC GTX 470 & 480 cooler
I assume that quite a lot of you guys will be on the lookout for 3rd party or water-cooling on the new GeForce GTX 470 and 480 to divert the massive heat production. Here's an interesting option.
CoolIT Systems, leaders in advanced liquid cooling technology, announced today that upon its retail availability this summer, the Omni ALC universal graphics card liquid cooling solution will offer full support of NVIDIA
The Witcher 2: Assasins of Kings
A new game in the saga of Witcher has been announced 2 months ago and it seems from the Videos that it will be a very good one. This new addition it's called "Assasins of Kings" and promise to be a very dark game with a deep non-linear plot.
Let's hear what the developers say about it:
CD Projekt RED officially announced The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, the sequel to the award-winning The Witcher, which has sold more than 1.5 million copies worldwide on PC alone.
The second entry in the Witcher saga is characterized by an incredibly gripping, mature and challenging non-linear plot. In addition, the new combat system is even smoother and guarantees a greater variety of tactical possibilities.
The game is built upon completely new technology, designed from scratch by CD Projekt RED to develop role-playing games with non-linear plot. The new technology also delivers beautiful visuals, transporting players to one of the most vivid RPG universes ever.
POV launches GTX 470 & 480
The first Fermi press-release to enter the mailbox comes from Point of View.
Point of View known for its range of NVIDIA based 3D Graphics cards, Netbooks and other PC products, announces today its launch of the latest generation enthusiast graphics cards: the Point of View GTX 480 1536 MB and Point of View GTX 470 1280 MB.