Patriot Zephyr SSD
Patriot introduced the Zephyr, a new solid state disk series designed around the JMicron JM612 SSD controller. The disks are available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB capacities, and feature 64MB DDR2, TRIM and a max read speed of up to 240MB/s. The write speed depends on the model; it's 85MB/s (64GB), 145MB/s (128GB) or 180MB/s (256GB). Pricing is unknown, but the company promises aggressive pricing.
Patriot Memory, a global pioneer in high-performance memory, NAND flash and computer technology, today announced the addition of the Zephyr series to its family of solid-state-drives (SSDs). The Zephyr series of SSD offer improved system responsiveness with quicker boot times and shorter application loading times over traditional hard disk drive storage solutions.
NVIDIA System Tools 6.06 out for grabs
There is a new version of NVIDIA System Tools that came out a few days ago. This release is version 6.06, previous version was 6.05. This version adds support for the 400 series cards, no word on any other changes.
This NVIDIA System Tools installation package adds support for GTX 480 and GTX 470 and it includes the following components:
1. NVIDIA Performance Group (v6.05.26.05) add-on to the NVIDIA Control Panel
- GeForce GPUs
- Enables GPU overclocking nForce MCPs
- Enables system tuning and profiles for clocks, voltages, timings, and fans
- Includes support for Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components
- Displays detailed system information
2. NVIDIA System Monitor (v6.05.25.05) standalone application
- GeForce GPUs
- Enables GPU temperature monitoring nForce MCPs
- Enables system monitoring for clocks, voltages, timings, and fans
- Includes support for Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components
3. NVIDIA System Update (v3.00.17.00) add-on to the NVIDIA Control Panel
- Automatically checks for nForce and GeForce driver updates
- Adds ability to update your system bios
- Includes support to update firmware of Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components
Super Street Fighter 4 Tweaks
Azrael, at Shoryuken.com, has been doing the translations and this week we learn about changes made to C. Viper, Rufus, El Fuerte, Abel, Seth, Akuma, Gouken, and the bosses that players will face in Arcade Mode.
You can read more about it here.
Dead Space Novel
Continuing the cross-media expansion of Dead Space--a franchise that already spans three video games, a seventy-three minute animated feature, a six-issue comic mini-series and a line of action figures--publishers Electronic Arts and Tor Books have announced a "literary prequel" dubbed "Dead Space: Martyr" and due in July 2010.
You can read all about it here.
Seagate preload HDDs with movies
The days of buying a pristeen new hard drive with nothing but free space may be coming to an end. Seagate today has announced a plan to bundle motion pictures on new hard drives. "Some" of its 500GB FreeAgent hard drives will come preloaded with 20 recent films from Paramount. To watch them, the user will have to pay $9.99 each for the appropriate unlock code (though as part of the offering, the recent "Star Trek" feature will be unlockable for free).
You can read the entire article here.
Inno3D GeForce GTX 400 water block
Inno3D released some photo's their water cooled GeForce GTX 470/480 series. Hopefully they will become available in the market this time arround. They surely look great.
Click on the thumbnails to enlarge.
Rivatuner GPU Monitor Sidebar Gadget 2.3
This Sidebar Gadget that uses Rivatuner's low level hardware monitor for stats.
This application is a Vista Sidebar Gadget that uses Rivatuner's low level hardware monitor for stats. I've finally released it on Microsoft's site. If your Rivatuner install is reporting back values that you would like to see in the sidebar, then install this gadget and have it easily accessible.
Values will vary depending on the model card you have and its capabilities.
Values capable of being displayed include, but are not limited to:
- GPU Usage
- GPU Temperature
- Core and Memory Clock Speed
- Fan Speed
- Frames per Second
- AND MORE
Updates for version 2.3 include:
- Small/Large (docked/undocked)
- Transparency (requires Aero theme)
- Value translation
- Purge monitor list
- Updated hardware acceleration bar (removed D3D & D3D8, added D3D11)
Read the help tab in the gadget config for explicit instructions and configuration information. We have a thread open on this tool (visited by programmer) right here.
MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II review
MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II review
Today we test the MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II . This product is based on the new Radeon HD 5830. MSI again made sure that their version needed to be interesting, so they designed a custom PCB, used durable quality components and then added their latest Twin FRoZr II cooler.
The end result is a product that looks just awesome, performs at baseline level, but overclocks just really well. Have a peek at what we test today, and then head on over to the article where we'll look at the MSI R 5870 Twin FroZR II edition graphics card.
Check out the Guru3D.com review right here.
Microsoft Arc Keyboard
Gigabyte X58 Overclocking Motherboard Prepped
One thing is that the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 forgoes all types of previous-generation expansion slots in favor of the PCI Express x16 interface. This allowed its maker to put in no less than seven such slots, which should say a lot about the maximum video and GPU computing capabilities that enthusiasts will achieve. Not only that, but there are also six DDR3 memory slots, which will easily let purchasers install more memory than they'll really need for years. One can only imagine what havoc this mainboard will cause with a CrossFireX or SLI setup and 24GB of memory.
Other specifications of the upcoming product include ten SATA ports, four of which might be SATA 6.0Gbps ones, DualBIOS, a debuLED, Gigabit Ethernet, 7.1 channel audio and, last but not least, USB 3.0 connectors to make sure that top speed can be reached wherever possible. Unfortunately, when and where this creature will debut is unknown, as is its price tag [via softpedia].
Intel not planning USB 3.0 until 2012
The gusy over at Bit Tech heard from Taiwanese sources that Intel has no plans to integrate USB 3.0 into its chipsets until 2012 at the earliest, and that support for SATA 6Gbps won't be integrated until late Q3 2011 in the refresh of the X58 platform.
"Our sources here in Taipei tell us that Intel has no plans to integrate USB 3 into its chipsets until 2012 at the earliest - there are no new platforms due this year, and next year's roadmaps currently show none featuring USB 3. Apparently Intel plans to make a USB 3/SATA 6Gbps all-in-one chip for optional use by motherboard manufacturers on its products, however it
AMD SB810 southbridge launch slightly delayed
The site also received word that 890FX/SB850, 790FX/SB750/SB850/ 870/SB850 based motherboards will start shipping later this quarter, and that 740G/SB710 motherboards will follow in the second half of this year.
Additionally, they also picked up a rumor that AMD plans to introduce Socket AM3+ in 2011 with the AMD 990FX or 970 chipset with SB950 southbridge. It's possible that this new socket will be backwards compatible with the current ones.
Intel's first quarter profit nearly quadruples
Intel had an excellent first quarter, the company reported a net income of $2.4 billion, or 43 cents per share, on a revenue of $10.3 billion. This compares to a profit of 11 cents per share on a revenue of $7.1 billion in the same quarter the year before, and is better than analyst expectations of earnings of 38 cents per share on revenue of $9.8 billion. For the current quarter, Intel said it expects revenue of $10.2 billion, plus or minus $400 million.
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Apr. 13, 2010
NVIDIA GeForce 197.45 WHQL Released
This is a WHQL-certified driver for GeForce 6, 7, 8, 9, 100, 200, and 300-series desktop GPUs and ION desktop GPUs.
We have an active discussion thread open on these drivers right here.
New in Version 197.45
- Recommended for the best performance with the new GPU-accelerated features in Adobe CS5.
- Adds support for the new version of MotionDSP's video enhancement software, vReveal, which adds support for HD output. NVIDIA customers can download a free version of vReveal that supports up to SD output here.
- Fixes a video playback issue in Media Player Classic.
Existing Support in Release 197 Drivers
- Supports Next Generation ION .
- Supports GeForce GT 320 , GeForce GT 330 , and GeForce GT 340 .
- Upgrades PhysX System Software to version 9.10.0129.
- Upgrades HD Audio driver to version 188.8.131.52 (for supported GPUs).
- Increases performance in several PC games from v196.21 WHQL. The following are examples of measured improvements. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:
Up to 13% performance increase in Crysis: Warhead with a single GPU
Up to 30% performance increase in Crysis: Warhead with SLI technology
Up to 13% performance increase in H.A.W.X with single GPU
Up to 15% performance increase in H.A.W.X with SLI technology
Up to 30% performance increase in Left 4 Dead with single GPU
Up to 28% performance increase in Left 4 Dead with SLI technology
- Adds SLI and multi-GPU support for top new gaming titles including Assassin Creed II, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Command and
- Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight, Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City, Mass Effect 2, Napoleon: Total War, and Zombie Driver.
- Enhanced SLI support for Metro 2033, Supreme Commander 2, Unigine, and World of Warcraft.
- Adds Ambient Occlusion support for Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Need for Speed: Shift, Resident Evil 5, RUSE, and Street Fighter IV.
- Adds override anti-aliasing support for Mass Effect 2.
- Includes numerous bug fixes. Refer to the release notes on the documentation tab for information about the key bug fixes in this release.
- Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here .
- Supports GPU-acceleration for smoother online HD videos with Adobe Flash 10.1. Learn more here .
- Supports DirectCompute with Windows 7 and GeForce 8-series and later GPUs.
- Supports OpenCL 1.0 ( Open Computing Language ) for all GeForce 8-series and later GPUs.
- Supports OpenGL 3.2 for GeForce 8-series and later GPUs.
- Supports CUDA Toolkit 3.0 features and performance enhancements. See CUDA Zone for more details.
- Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL, including 3-way SLI, Quad SLI, and SLI
- support on SLI-certified Intel X58-based motherboards.
- Supports NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on a dedicated GeForce graphics card. Use one card for graphics and dedicate a different card for
- PhysX processing for game-changing physical effects. Learn more here .
- Download these FREE PhysX and CUDA applications now!
- Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software .
MSI Big Bang Fuzion update adds DX11 and 3-way support
MSI notes that LucidLogix has rolled out a driver update for the Hydra multi-GPU solution that is used by the company's Big Bang Fuzion motherboard. You can download Hydra 1.5.106 over here, this update adds support for DX11 graphics cards along with 3-way cross-vendor support.
MSI announces the major HYDRA driver update - V1.5.106 - to the MSI Big Bang-Fuzion. HYDRA Technology supports up to 3-way cross-vendor multi-GPU processing and DirectX 11 for experiencing the latest and most detailed 3D gaming environments with the most flexibility of any platform. Gamers using Big Bang-Fuzion will be able to easily upgrade their systems with any graphic card of their choice.
MSI Big Bang-Fuzion is the first mainboard in the industry to feature Lucid
Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 3 out
We're happy to announce that we started the Afterburner 1.6.3 Beta testing process, in this version we have early support of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470/480 along with other many exciting features.
- New MSI On-Screen Display Server v3.7.0 beta 10 with the following improvements:
- Improved race condition protection system for the systems running multiple OSD applications simultaneously (e.g. OSD server, FRAPS and STEAM In-Game Chat)
- Improved floating injection address hooking technology. Due to more advanced
built-in code analyzer hooks can be injected deeper into 3D application code if stealth mode is enabled. These changes improve stealth mode compatibility with third party tools using similar stealth injection technologies (e.g.FRAPS v2.9.8 and newer)
- Now stealth mode cannot be toggled during 3D application runtime to reduce the risk of crashing 3D application
- Removed single screen capture per second limitation
- Updated profiles list
- Updated Dutch localization
Two-Bay NAS from Plextor
The amount of storage available to a small network need only be large enough for storing multimedia files (used for streaming) and for backup purposes. As such, Plextor decided to build its new NAS device with only two bays that can each handle a 3.5-inch hard disk drive of up to 2TB.
The PX-NAS2 itself measures 135.4 (W) x 120.3 (H) x 254.5 (D) mm and is equipped with all the necessary connectivity and I/O options, including a pair of USB ports and Gigabit Ethernet. As such, the product will be able to act as an iTunes, HTTP / FTP server. Not only that, but Plextor's unit is even compatible with DLNA 1.5, which allows it to interface with CE products.
"Plextor is pleased to expand our storage category to meet today's growing storage demand by providing another complete storage solution to our consumers," says Takashi Adachi, General Manager of Plextor. "The PX-NAS2 is a complete and versatile NAS device that fulfills the growing demand for storage capacity, security and accessibility of personal data anywhere, anytime within a home."
With the multimedia streaming capabilities covered, the storage maker catered to the need for reliable and easy backup by bundling the NAS with the Memeo software, which also handles file syncing and content sharing. Set to start selling in May, the HDD-less Plextor PX-NAS2 will be priced at only
Removing the GeForce GTX 480 fan
"This is the 1st segment of preparing a GTX480 card for the DD-GTX480 full coverage block. This will step you through the entire process. This was the first time for us to do the removal, so it is this easy. You can do it!
We have a Liquid cooling Block for the GTX 480 inbound ourselves, you can check out a review on it real soon".