EA Launches Six More Titles on Steam
Electronic Arts today released six more titles on the distribution platform, including DICE's classic multiplayer shooter Battlefield 2. Sadly, there's no discount to celebrate the new arrivals, which Steam is known to do from time to time. The new additions are:
- Battlefield 2: Complete Collection - $29.99
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising - $19.99
- The Godfather - $9.99
- The Godfather 2 - $39.99
- Medal of Honor: Airborne - $9.99
- Need for Speed: Shift - $49.99
Mimo Mini USB Monitor
You're looking for a small and lightweight additional screen for your laptop while on the road? You can't afford to buy the new graphic card from ATI that offers Eyefinity and already have two full size monitors in use but still would like to have a separate screen for your IM app?
Then this 7 inch USB monitor from Mimo might be the right thing for you. It's powered through a simple USB connection which it also serves as the display cable. It weighs only 1.3 pounds, has a resolution of 800 x 400, and currently comes in four different models: the iMo Pivot, the 710-S, the 720-S Touch, and the 740 Touch.
Other product features include:
- Small monitor runs completely off of USB, giving you an extra mini display whenever and wherever you need it.
- No extra power needed. The Mimo monitor is powered by USB.
- No extra video card. The Mimo has a built in video card that runs over any USB 2.0 connection.
- Rotating Portrait or Landscape view. Go vertical for notes and spreadsheets, horizontal to watch a movie.
- Great for laptop use. The Mimo stores easily in your bag and is ready to go simply by plugging it in
- 740 Model offers touchscreen abilities for control with a finger or stylus
- Mac and Windows driver support (intel Mac only). Additional drivers required for touchscreen use of the 740 monitor on Mac OS.
- Display size - 7"
- Display resolution - 800 x 480
- Brightness - 350 cd/m2
- Contrast ratio - 400:1
- Connections - USB 2.0
Prices range from $129.99 for the iMo Pivot up to $229.99 for the 720-S Slider Touch.
Corsair TX950W PSU launches
Corsair is well known in the computer enthusiast community for its line of RAM and SSDs. The company also makes a full line of flash drives and power supplies for computers as well. Today Corsair has announced a new PSU in its TX-series called the TX950W.
As you might guess from the product name, the PSU has 950 watts of power and it is guaranteed to sustain its full rated wattage at ambient temperatures of 50C. The PSU promises to be up to 85% energy efficient under real-world load conditions. A large single +12V rail provides up to 78A.
The PSU is also multiple GPU ready and uses 105C solid-state capacitors. Other features of the PSU include active PFC with a PF value of 0.99. Corsair supports ATX 12V 2.3 and EPS12V 2.91 standards and the PSU is backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01 as well. The PSU is available for purchase now online.
EVGA Precision v1.8.1
This program allows you to fine tune your GeForce graphics card for the maximum performance possible, with Core/Shader/Memory clock tuning, real time monitoring support including in-game, Logitech Keyboard LCD Display support, and compatibility with almost all EVGA (and other) graphics cards.
EVGA Precision v1.8.1 (10-06-2009)
- Added NVIDIA GeForce G210, GT220 and GT240 series graphics cards support.
- EVGA On-Screen Display Server has been updated to version 3.5.0. Floating injection address hooking technology, which has been introduced in the previous version, is now disabled by default and can be enabled via the "Stealth mode" option in the server's properties.
- Added hotkeys cross-links checking, Precision no longer allows defining the same hotkey for two different actions at the same time.
- Added "Browse" button to "Screen capture" tab to allow users to change target folder for screenshots.
- Added inegration with external overclocking stability testing applications.
NVIDIA nForce 15.51 WHQL Windows 7 and Vista
Download nForce 15.51 WHQL Windows 7 and Vista 32-bit. Nvidia released a new nforce driver ver 15.51 whql for Windows Vista and Windows 7.
nForce 7 series:
790i Ultra SLI, 780i SLI, 790i SLI, 750i SLI.
nForce 6 series:
680a SLI, 680i LT SLI, 650i Ultra, 680i SLI, 650i SLI.
nForce 5 series:
570 SLI AMD, 550, 590 SLI Intel, 590 SLI AMD, 570 SLI Intel, 570 Ultra AMD, 560.
- Ethernet Driver (v73.14) WHQL
- Network Management Tools (v73.16) "Sedona"
- SATA IDE Driver (v220.127.116.11) WHQL
- SATA RAID Driver (v18.104.22.168) WHQL
- RAIDTOOL Application (v22.214.171.124)
- SMBUS Driver (v4.74) WHQL
- SMU Driver (v1.71) WHQL
- Installer (v7.57)
- Audio Driver (v1.00.00.59)
PhotoSketch Software Transforms Sketch Into Photo
Tao Chen, Ming-Ming Cheng, Ping Tan, Ariel Shamir, and Shi-Min Hu, students at Tsinghua University and National University of Singapore created a truly amazing piece of software that transforms the outlines of a sketch you draw into an almost perfect photograph.
The web site presenting the software and allowing people to experiment with it crashed under the enormous traffic it faced. Besides the opportunity to play with the algorithm on the site, it also provided the binary code for the image filtering scheme, a PDF showing intermediate results and comparisons, and high resolution compositions and detailed statistics of the user studies in another PDF.
I guess, the next best thing to playing with the software itself is to watch a video of it in action until it is online again:
Ubisoft Acquires TrackMania Developer Nadeo
In a press release Ubisoft announced the acquisition of "development studio Nadeo, creator of TrackMania, the cult multiplayer car racing video game:"
"The acquisition of Nadeo is an important step in our expansion within the on-line gaming sector", said Yves Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer of Ubisoft.
Microsoft Research Presents Multitouch Mice at UIST
This year's UIST (ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology), currently taking place in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada from October 4th until October 7th, "brings together researchers and practitioners from diverse areas that include traditional graphical & web user interfaces, tangible & ubiquitous computing, virtual & augmented reality, multimedia, new input & output devices, and CSCW."
One of it's main sponsors, Microsoft Research, got some attention yesterday for their presentation of working prototypes of a new family of multitouch mice. The five prototypes include:
- FTIR (Frustrated Total Internal Reflection) Mouse
- Side Mouse
- Orb Mouse
- Arty Mouse
- Cap Mouse
Das Keyboard Ultimate S shipping for $129
Das Keyboard has introduced the Ultimate S, this redesigned keyboard with mechanical key switches features a USB 2.0 hub, extra-long 2 meter USB cable, and N-Key rollover to allow up to 6 keys to be pressed simultaneously. You can get it at the company's website for $129.
Well, the mechanical Ultimate S -- an updated model which has just surfaced -- is just as tactile and noisy as all the other models, but it's also got a few added features, including two USB ports, an external PS / 2 adapter, plus full 'n' key rollover with PS / 2. The board is also KVM switch compatible, and of course, the keys are still blank.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 'Infamy' Trailer
Thousands of Hotmail users hacked
A-DATA SH93 HDD is 1M 30 minutes waterproof
A-DATA introduced the SH93, a new portable HDD for heavy duty users. This model is shock proof and sustains 1M waterproof test for 30 minutes. Incorporating rubber-plastic mix and special cushion materials, the SH93 sustains 1M waterproof test for 30 minutes and military standard MIL-STD-810F drop test. The MIL-STD-810 test addresses a broad range of environmental conditions to generate confidence in the overall durability of a system design. With the USB cable cord tucking into the slit that goes around the side of the HDD, the SH93 is beautifully designed with finish paint in racing car yellow. It is easy for users to conveniently carry around massive documents without the fear of damaging files stored in the HDD in the incident of accidental drop or water spills.
The portable HDD has become the most important storage device for road warriors, students, even ordinary individuals in this digital era. With the ever increasing amount of photos, music, video files, and data, the need for high-capacity HDD with extreme durability is constantly expanding. Capacity available in 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, and 640GB, the SH93 offers maximum shock tolerance and greatest possible chance of data survival if the storage device is accidentally dropped on the floor or in the water.
Inno3D GeForce GTX295 iChill liquid cooled review
Inno3D has released GeForce GTX 295 iChill. This card has a single GTX 295 PCB with a shiny cute single-slot waterblock. The product name will be Inno3D GeForce GTX 295 iChill Black Series and it's going to be one exclusive product to find in the stores I'm afraid, but we managed to get a sample into our lab.
The GeForce GTX295 iChill edition comes pre-overclocked and is stuffed with a sweet game-bundle that will make your ears wiggle a little bit, it's a product that in most scenario's is faster than a Radeon HD 5870 as the the GTX 295 packs 480 Processing Cores and 1792MB of GDDR3 memory and has its clock frequencies set on 600 MHz on the graphics core, 1242 MHz on the shader domain and 2160 MHz on the memory.
Check out this Guru3D article right here.
Cyberdyne Exoskeleton Improves Physical Capability
Granted, this news item is a bit off an oddball and already a few weeks old, but nevertheless I wanted to share this somewhat scary and fascinating video with my fellow gurus.
Cyberdyne Inc., a venture firm aiming to utilize accomplishments by Prof. Sankai and his laboratory at University of Tsukuba, is currently working on a HAL, or hybrid assisted limbs system.
"When a person attempts to move, nerve signals are sent from the brain to the muscles via motoneuron, moving the musculoskeletal system as a consequence. At this moment, very weak biosignals can be detected on the surface of the skin. "HAL" catches these signals through a sensor attached on the skin of the wearer. Based on the signals obtained, the power unit is controlled to move the joint unitedly with the wearer's muscle movement, enabling to support the wearer's daily activities.
"HAL" is expected to be applied in various fields such as rehabilitation support and physical training support in medical field, ADL support for disabled people, heavy labour support at factories, and rescue support at disaster sites, as well as in the entertainment field."
NVIDIA ForceWare 191.07 WHQL released
NVIDIA now officially released ForceWare 191.07
New in Version 191.07
- Adds support for OpenGL 3.2 for GeForce 8, 9, 100, and 200-series GPUs and ION GPUs.
- Accelerates performance in several gaming applications. The following are examples of improvements measured with version 191.07 drivers vs. version 190.62 drivers (results will vary depending on your GPU, system configuration, and game settings):
- Up to 12% performance increase in ARMA 2
- Up to 8% performance increase in Batman: Arkham Asylum with GPU PhysX enabled
- Up to 50% performance increase in Call of Juarez: Blood in Bound with SLI enabled
- Up to 14% performance increase in Fallout 3 (indoor scenes) with antialiasing enabled
- Up to 10% performance increase in Far Cry 2 (DX9 version) with antialiasing enabled
- Up to 34% performance increase in Prototype with antialiasing enabled
- Adds SLI support for Aion, Darkfall, Dawn of Magic 2: Time of Shadows, Dreamkiller, Fuel, Majesty 2: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim, Need for Speed: Shift and more.
- Includes numerous bug fixes, including the following key fix (additional bug fixes can be found in the release notes on the documentation tab): For graphics cards supporting multiple clock states, 3D clocks correctly return to 2D clocks after exiting a 3D application.
- Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.
New in Release 190/191 Drivers
- Includes WHQL support for DirectCompute with Windows 7 and GeForce 8-series or higher graphics cards.
- Installs PhysX System Software version 9.09.0814.
- Supports NVIDIA 3D Vision Discover, a complete, low cost solution to start your immersive stereoscopic 3D experience. NOTE: If you are using NVIDIA 3D Vision active shutter glasses, you must download the separate 3D Vision driver which includes the driver for the 3D Vision IR emitter.
- Supports CUDA 2.3 for improved performance in GPU Computing applications. See CUDA Zone for more details.
- Supports a new user-controlled power management setting for select GeForce 9-series and later graphics cards (only available on cards that already support more than one power state). This option allows users to set a performance level for each DirectX or OpenGL application.
- Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL, including 3-way SLI, Quad SLI, and SLI support on SLI-certified Intel X58-based motherboards.
- Supports NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on a dedicated GeForce graphics card. Use one card for graphics and dedicate a different card for PhysX processing for game-changing physical effects. Learn more here.
- Supports GeForce Plus Power Pack #3. Download these FREE PhysX and CUDA applications now!
- Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software.
Military backpack that generates power
It works great, apparently. The backpack itself is mounted on rails, so it moves up and down when its wearer moves. The movement generates enough electricity to power your gadgets, and the design actually relieves stress from the user.
QNAP launches TS-410 NAS
QNAP Systems, Inc., a leading manufacturer of world class NAS servers, NVR Video Surveillance Systems, and Network-based Video Players today expanded their Turbo NAS lineup with the addition of the TS-410 desktop NAS server targeted specifically at the SOHO and Prosumer market segments. The TS-410 features 4 hot-swappable SATA hard drives with up to 8 TB of total capacity (with 2TB drives) and supports 2.5" or 3.5" hard drives, giving users more flexibility in selecting drives for installation. The TS-410 features a Marvell 800MHz CPU and 256MB DDRII memory which provides sustained high performance with low power consumption. The TS-410 can be configured for RAID 0/1/5/6/5+ spare, and JBOD with online RAID capacity expansion and online RAID level migration for high data redundancy. The TS-410 also supports iSCSI Target service with Thin Provisioning and dual Gigabit LAN ports, features generally found on much higher end NAS servers. The TS-410 also features 4 USB ports (1 front, 3 back panel) and 2 e-SATA ports for expanding the storage capacity or backing up the TS-410.
The TS-410 is a smart choice for installation in home or home-based business as it's fully compatible with Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and UNIX networks and features a built-in UPnP/ DLNA media server (with TwonkyMedia enabled) supporting a wide range of DLNA media players such as Sony PS3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 gaming consoles. By installing the DLNA/ UPnP application on your iPhone or iPod touch, users can access the TS-410 on the home network and play videos, music, and photos from the server over the network. In addition, the high-speed PC-less Download Station with the unique QGet utility enables users to manage the BT/ FTP/ HTTP download tasks remotely over the local network or the Internet. The TS-410 can perform centralized backups of all computers attached to the network to protect valuable paid downloaded music & video content, digital pictures, and documents.
"QNAP's new TS-410 is a great addition to a home network; especially where lots of content is being downloaded and needs to be shared easily in mixed networks that might include Macs, PCs, and even game consoles" said Meiji Chang, CEO of QNAP Systems, Inc. "The TS-410 can easily and affordably handle this and many other tasks including centralized backup so the downloaded content on all the machines in the home network is protected." Mr. Chang added.
The TS-410 comes with QNAP's new V3 of its NAS management software, embedded as firmware, adding significant new features including virtual disk drives support (up to 8 virtual disks via iSCSI expansion over the network), exclusive QNAP RAID Recovery that can recover an inactive RAID 1, 5, or 6 due to unintentional removal of drives. Network Discovery Services are enhanced with new Bonjour support offering zero-configuration networking for HTTP, SAMBA, FTP, AFP, and SSH based networks, and full UPnP support. Other new features of the V3 firmware include EXT4 support for very large volumes and file sizes, SNMP support, and bitmap support for faster rebuilding of RAID volume after a crash or adding/removing a drive. Version 3 includes an all-new AJAX-based web interface that is extremely easy to use and is broadly compatible with popular web browsers.
QNAP offers the broadest lineup of NAS server enclosures currently available. QNAP Turbo NAS series NAS servers are available in 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8-bay desktop (QNAP exclusive feature) and rack mount configurations to fit the needs of consumer, small/medium business, workgroups, and entry-level enterprise networks. QNAP NAS servers feature hot-swap removable cartridge drives throughout the entire lineup, and offer unique features including iSCSI, and dual Gigabit LAN ports with fail-over, load-balancing and multi-IP setting capabilities for all Intel-based models. QNAP NAS servers are ideal for simple website hosting, ultra-high performance RAID storage supporting RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 5+ hot spare, stand-alone file downloading, network-wide backups, printer sharing, video surveillance, and a whole lot more. QNAP NAS servers are fully compatible with Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and UNIX networks and incorporate green power management technologies.
The TS-410 will be globally available in October through popular commercial distributors, resellers, and e-tailers.
Netgear Rangemax wireless-N gigabit router
Netgear makes all sorts of routers for wireless networks and has been offering products for a long time based on draft-n technology. Now that the IEEE has finally ratified the 802.11n specifications we are seeing new products come to market without that draft n caveat. Netgear announced today the new Rangemax Wireless-N Gigabit Router with USB WNR3500L.
The router provides full 802.11n speeds and has four gigabit Ethernet ports to provide fast wired connection. The router also uses push