The History of Guru3D.com Part I
Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 05/23/2009 01:00 PM [ 0 comment(s) ]
Hey everybody and welcome to a week of celebration! It was the 24th of May 1999 when the Guru3D.com domain was registered and became alive, as such this week will be themed 'A Decade of Guru3D'. This week is going to be filled with festivities and sharing with you guys that which we all love so much, the technology industry. And despite 2009 of course being a horrible year for technology websites and the industry as a whole, that will not stop us.
There are a number of things we'll do this week.
- The History of Guru3D - Part I - Today we'll talk about the history of Guru3D, it's good to look back a little and see where we came from and where we are, both in technology but moreover, as a technology website.
- Photo contest number one.
- We'll have a little article on a special project I started last year. You guys must know that I always wanted Guru3D.com to become more green. As such, last year I made the decision to install a solar array and compensate the C02 levels we create with our servers. That's right, Guru3D.com is green... C02 neutral! When you browse the website, we now make sure you do it environmentally friendly.
- Contest number two, the Guru3D logo hunt
- The History of Guru3D - Part II - Here we'll look back into history, 1997. We'll check out graphics cards starting at that date and move our way up towards 2008, showing lots and lots of graphics cards from the past.
- Contest number three, the Dragon contest
Competitions - of course an anniversary should have a contest or two. We have gathered multiple thousands of dollars/EUR of prizes and we'll start up a series of contests you'll never ever forget!
But we'll start off with a little story, The History of Guru3D.com Part One...
The History of Guru3D by Hilbert Hagedoorn
Though at the 24th of May 2009 Guru3D.com might be ten years old, the website itself is actually already twelve years of age. See, back in 1996/1997 there was a company called 3Dfx who, for this editor, started a revolution that sparked my need to share knowledge and information on the internet.
Now to understand how Guru3D.com evolved and even started, you guys need to learn about my passion for computers & technology, and I'd like to tell you a little about that. My infatuation for computers obviously started way way earlier. For that we need to go way back... way back to the 80ies.
This editor comes from a time where a computer could not even be called a computer by today's standards really. Let's talk about the very first 'computer' that I bought in my teenage years. The first computer I purchased was in the early 80's, it was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K.
The Sinclair ZX Spectrum was one of the most popular European computers of the 80's. Two models were launched: one with 16 KB RAM and one with 48 KB RAM, of course back then I already had this weird enthusiast fetish, so I had to have the 48K version. Yes dear readers... KB and not MB or GB.
Next page please.
The History of Guru3D - Part II - here we'll look back into history, 1997. We'll check out graphics cards starting at that date and move our way up towards 2008, showing lot's and lot's graphics cards from the past.
The History of Guru3D.com Part I
The History of Guru3D - Part I - Today we'll talk about the history of Guru3D, it's good to look back a little and see where we came from and where we are, both in technology but moreover, as a technology website.