GeForce GTX 590 review
Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 03/23/2011 02:00 PM [ 0 comment(s) ]
Power Monitoring hardware
Small ICs are embedded on the PCB that monitor temperatures and power load on certain phases of the PCB. A new power monitoring feature as such has been implemented. Dedicated hardware on the PCB monitors current and voltage on each 12v pin leading to the graphics cards.
The driver will monitor the power levels and can dynamically adjust performance, especially with stress software like Furmark & OCCT this should kick in.
We tested the feature deeply and not once did we notice a clock down or anything with Furmark. Also, overclocking wise we were wondering if the feature would kick in and prevent overclocking.
NVIDIA's calls this Advanced Power Management. The below information is intended to clarify:
NVIDIA have implemented new power monitoring and power capping features on GTX 580 boards. Similar to our thermal protection mechanisms that protect the GPU and system from excessive heat generation, the new power monitoring and capping features help protect the graphics card and system from issues caused by excessive power draw.
- Dedicated hardware circuitry on the GTX 5x0 graphics card performs real-time monitoring of current and voltage on each 12V rail (6-pin, 8-pin, and PCI-Express).
- The graphics driver monitors the power levels and will dynamically adjust performance in certain stress applications such as Furmark and OCCT if power levels exceed the cards spec.
- Power monitoring adjusts performance only if power specs are exceeded AND if the application is one of the stress apps we have defined in our driver to monitor such as Furmark and OCCT.
- So far we have not seen any real world games that are affected by power monitoring or need power throttling to stay within spec.
- We restrict power monitoring only to stress apps, because we dont want to limit customers who want to overclock games, and we believe the stress apps are the key apps where the graphics card can benefit from additional protection mechanisms.
- We will enable power monitoring for older Furmark versions in future drivers. The 262.99 driver only identifies Furmark version 1.8. If other thermal stress apps are discovered, they will be added to the protection mechanism from time to time with driver updates.
- We do not provide any end user ability to turn off power capping today.
- The power limits for GTX 580 are set close to PCI Express specs for each 12V rail.
- In this initial implementation, when power capping becomes active, clocks inside the chip are reduced by 50%. Many 3rd party tools have not yet been updated to show this fact, but we suspect updates will be coming to make the internal clock reductions more visible.
Today a review the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC ACX edition. The Superclocked model comes with a nice factory tweak and that all new Sleeve bearing fan based ACX cooler. Overall the card is almost as fast as a GeForce GTX Titan, 100% cool and 100% silent. We test the product with the hottest games like Metro: Last light, Battlefield 3, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Hitman Absolution and many more.
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC review
We test and review the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC edition. The graphics card comes witha factory overclock and the new WindForce 3X 2 Slot 450W fan sink with Triangle Cool fans, as they like to cool it. That would be three silent 80mm fans. Overall the card is almost as fast as a GeForce GTX Titan, 100% cool and 100% silent. We test the product with the hottest games like Metro: Last light, Battlefield 3, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Hitman Absolution and many more.
GeForce GTX 780 SLI and Multi monitor review
We review the GeForce GTX 780 SLI and also do a SurroundView session with three monitors. The boards used are reference from NVIDIA. Over the next few pages we'll tell you a bit about multi-GPU gaming, the challenges, the requirements and of course a nice tasty benchmark session with the latest games. We'll have a peek at temperatures and power consumption of the GeForce GTX Titan cards in 2-way SLI mode to monitor it's generated performance.
GeForce GTX 780 review
We test and review the GeForce GTX 780. The GeForce GTX 780 is NVIDIAs all new high-end graphics card based in their Flagship product, the GTX Titan. This means it is based on the GK110 GPU and has an whopping 7.1 Billion transistors. That makes it a nice chunk faster opposed to the GeForce GTX 680 GPU. We test the product with the hottest games like Metro: Last light, Battlefield 3, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Hitman Absolution and many more.